• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you lose alot of bone if you have a dental bridge?

D

Dinoza

Hello,

I have a dental bridge and will get another one in a few days, the missing tooths in both cases are first molars (upper right, down left) its a normal fixed bridge with crowns it fits well, Im 23 and Im scared cause of the bone loss, I was told by my dentist that it will not happen (Or will just a little) because its a tooth in the back thats missing and not a front one, he told me that a bone graft was not needed and is out of place, but still I fear. Anyone who had bone loss cause of a dental bridge? :cry:

I think you should trust your dentist they know best! but hoping it all goes okay im 22 and have rubbish teeth full of crowns and molars:(

My personal experience has been that my lower molar bridge has maintained my bone pretty well. I've had a bridge for about 40 years, and I recently opted to replace it with an implant instead of another bridge. Even after all that time, I was able to get implant without any bone grafting.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer guys!

@Baster, yes your answer was helpful! I do believe that no one can lose that much bone as the internet wants to make you believe. :giggle:

@Mynr95, well crowns are not bad, I have 4 on my upper front teeth for about 10 years and they do great, but should be ckecked every few years just to be sure that the teeths under are doing well.

I recently had a socket graft done after a tooth extraction and I read a bit on the subject. The information I read said that socket graft is not always recommended after an extraction. It would make sense that your dentist doesn't think you need one. In addition, if they realize they do need a graft when they put the implant in, they can always do one then instead.

I think it also depends on the training your dentist received, but it would make sense to trust your dentist opinion on the subject.

I recently had a socket graft done after a tooth extraction and I read a bit on the subject. The information I read said that socket graft is not always recommended after an extraction. It would make sense that your dentist doesn't think you need one. In addition, if they realize they do need a graft when they put the implant in, they can always do one then instead.

I think it also depends on the training your dentist received, but it would make sense to trust your dentist opinion on the subject.

Ah I guess you are right. I will get implants, when my two bridges give up. Well, crowns + implants will be needed then. If I got it right, I will be able to rebuild bone back if its gone too much, but lets hope that will not be the case :cool:. Cheers!

Back