• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

does biting pain always equal a need for root canal?? :(

Z

zombiegroupie

I have a question for the dentists or anyone who knows, really.

In the end of July I had a deep filling on my #30 tooth. I think he also put a pulp cap.

Last week I had a broken/decayed #31 tooth extracted. prior to this, I hadn't been eating on that side of my mouth for probably almost a year.

Anyway my extraction site has started to heal and I tried eating over there. I felt a pain when biting on that #30 tooth (I think)

Also I have felt that the upper fillings he did last month or maybe it's the bottom fillings are off, the bite feels strange.

I'm going to go see him tomorrow and haveit checked but I'm terrified about having to have another procedure on that tooth! :(

if the bite felt fine before the extraction then the problem is most likely some swelling (from the extraction) displacing the tooth slightly. See the dentist and tell them but this may well resolve by itself.

If the bite has felt odd since the fillings then it probably just needs polishing and should be pretty straight forward.
The timing will determine the diagnosis so have a think about it before you see the dentist

I'm going in today. He's very much a minimalist so I'm hoping he would know if it's a real problem or temporary. Thank you for replying! :)

Hi zombiegroupie, I've had a similar experience with an upper back tooth. I had the upper first molar removed which wasn't a difficult extraction on all accounts, in fact I had considered taking it out myself as it was so loose but felt it would not be the best thing to do at the time. The tooth behind it became very tender to the slightest pressure or disturbance by the second day post extraction. I left it hoping it would settle. It did eventually but it took about 6 weeks and even now I get occasional toothache in the upper second molar. I was told it was bruising from the extraction.

Back