• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does life expectancy lower with dentures

J

Judo3052

I'm getting dentures. Top and bottom. I've read that quality of life and life expectancy go down after having dentures. Is this true or even supported by real research which isn't tied to a company trying to sell something?

Hi Judo3052,

if you read this in a research paper, would you mind posting it here? Not every research is a good one and there is a lot of BS around. As you mentioned, companies trying to scare people and sell products.

From my own interest in longevity and health, the things that play a role in how long you live are nutrition, fitness, good sleep, the amount of toxins in your environment, and the quality of your relationships. And even those are rather suggestions than "confirmed" because you can't really do this kind of research on humans.

Anyway, hard as I try, I can't figure out how dentures could affect any of it. On the contrary I know many happy people who now, with dentures, have a much better life than before.

My Great Nan lived to she was in her late 90s before passing, my Great Nan ate well. My Nan is still going strong in her 80s, she lost her teeth not to what she ate, due to pregnancies

My dad had dentures for the last 30 years of his life, he ate well and had a healthy lifestyle - he lived to be 96.

Thank you all for confirming what my logical mind already knew. Feeling much more confident about this procedure.

My grandfather is 93 and he has had full dentures for almost 40 years.

Hi Judo3052,

if you read this in a research paper, would you mind posting it here? Not every research is a good one and there is a lot of BS around. As you mentioned, companies trying to scare people and sell products.

From my own interest in longevity and health, the things that play a role in how long you live are nutrition, fitness, good sleep, the amount of toxins in your environment, and the quality of your relationships. And even those are rather suggestions than "confirmed" because you can't really do this kind of research on humans.

Anyway, hard as I try, I can't figure out how dentures could affect any of it. On the contrary I know many happy people who now, with dentures, have a much better life than before.
The search was done through google. Which is also how I found this forum. There was no one particular site. After several links, a series of random dut relevant questions pop up and it was one of those that i clicked on. The same question as the on i asked here.

My gran is 93 and she has had full dentures for about 50 years. It was "fashionable" apparently back then to have them! She is in quite good health for her age.

I also know of a lady who lived to 107 years old and she had dentures for an awful lot of years, and another lady I know is 104 and again with a full set of dentures.

Thanks for the response. Since posting, I've determined that the reports I've seen are driven by companies trying to use a fear factor to see their products or services.

I'd read that it was because people stopped eating properly, so their nutrition suffered, hence their life expectancy dropped. Something to do with only eating liquid food once you get dentures, which I'm not sure is true as my mother would happily quaff a sunday lunch with her dentures in

You can eat normal food with dentures, not a liquid diet. I think you need a good adhesive but I'm sure you can eat pretty much a normal diet. My gran eats whatever she wants - crusty bread, steak, toffee. Nothing stops my granny ?

Im sure you can eat much more than I can with my poor, bonded teeth.

Back