• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dry socket/smoking

T

travisb

Hi all, this is my first post. Found this site while searching for some information on dry socket on google. Looking to have it answered by both smokers with similar experiences as well as real dentists...

anyways, onto my question... I had a bottom molar extracted (non wisdom) last friday, 6 days ago. I waited 48hrs afterwards to smoke, but only smoked like 2 that day (sunday), 5 the next day(monday), and then maybe 10 the day after that (tuesday)... about mid day tuesday i had pretty minor, but "sharp" pain when i rinsed with salt water at work, because all we have is cold water and it is COLD... so, my open wound was sensitive to cold, what a shock right? but, i also had a bad taste coming from the area so i figured better safe than sorry. went to the dentist wednesday and was told i have dry socket. they put a packing in and its been slowly disolving with absolutely NO pain. If im still having NO pain, not even with cold at this point, when should i consider it "ok" to start smoking again? tomorrow will be 2 days since the packing. also, what could potentially happen if i start smoking "too early", considering ive already had a minor case of dry socket (i was in very little pain, easily could have just dealt with it, but was afraid of infection)? also, could smoking at this point cause more pain? thanks!

Travis

Hi Travisb, and welcome to the forums! :welcome: Usually dry sockets are associated with intense, radiating pain along with a foul taste/odor from the socket area so you may have just had a slight infection in the area. The dentist most likely found it best to nip any potential dry socket development in the bud especially so close to Christmas time so that might explain the packing.

I know how difficult it can be to stop an addictive habit like smoking. :XXLhug: We all have our share of difficulties and personal challenges that we each must try to deal with. :shame: I find staying positive and trying to help others helps me somewhat. At this point in the healing process, I would say that it's probably safe to smoke a little bit, but of course I cannot guarantee you anything as it's usually advised to avoid smoking after an extraction. Maybe try smoking just a little and see how it goes.

I have had patients who did smoke a lot after extractions, and they were perfectly fine afterwards so I hope that's what will happen in your case. Take care, and I wish you the best. Have a Merry Christmas! :XXLhug:

Thanks for the reply. Its nice to get advice from those who understand (especially dentists!) instead of those who just say "oh just quit stupid!"... Unfortunately its not that easy to just quit.

She said it was a small case of dry socket and started pushing on my gums. It hurt like hell when she pushed the outside of the socket, but nothing when she pushed the inside. What would that indicate (if anything)?

It's sort of like pressing around an open wound - it's going to be a bit sore especially the soft tissues so that doesn't indicate very much.

Back