• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Embarrassed to go to the dentist

JLambda,
So glad your are taking the positive route. It is most admirable and at least half the battle.
I've only just read your story now. If you don't mind; I will follow it, with keen interest. This is because I like your attitude and feel like I can learn from your progress.
I don't have much advice, other than that already given but do wish to say that I am in full support of you. Looking forward to updates and feeling inspired. Trully.
Thanks for sharing. :)

In twenty-four hours, I will have been to the dentist (my appointment is tomorrow morning). I will be looking back on what has happened with clear next steps. This is the image I am thinking about.

In a strange way, I am looking forward to going to the dentist -- and I keep telling myself that I "get to go" -- because they will be able to help me. I am very scared indeed, but I know I can do this. I am as ready as I'll ever be.

I am regretful over how I have treated my health in the past, but as I have discussed, I'm not sure I could have avoided what has happened. But I do control my future, and having good teeth is something that I want to have for myself in that future. It's going to mean a bit of discomfort, but I can do it.

I am counting down the hours until I go, and although I am stressed -- to a great extent -- I keep repeating that this is a choice that I have made. The right choice; the one that will bring me the greatest amount of long-term happiness.

I'll check in tomorrow at some point (definitely after the appointment, at the very least) to share my experience. It's a check-up -- but a big deal for me -- and I hope that in a few weeks, this will all be a memory.

Thanks for all your help thus far, everyone. I am struggling to find the words to describe the gratitude I have for those who are willing to help me get through this. I can do it!

Good luck. You are already a success, having come so far. Now just a little further on the courage train.

JLambda,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow morning and really agree with DG6300 that you are already a success and just going a little further on the courage train.. love that @Dg6300 ! Looking forward to your report. Its hard to face thing sometimes but there is something about stepping out in courage that is beautiful as hard as it is! I hope it will be a healing experience!

Thanks for those words of encouragement -- they mean a lot to me! Indeed, this has taken a lot of courage on my part, and there's still a way to go, but it's great to know people will be thinking about me when I am in the chair!

I write to you one hour before my dental appointment. In one hour, my appointment (should be) almost over, if not over. In two hours, I will be thinking to myself -- hopefully -- "that went well, now I know what I need to do next."

I am anxious, but I think I am ready for what is about to happen. I'll spend a couple of minutes speaking with the dentist, he'll take a look around my mouth to see what's going on, then we will discuss treatment. I sincerely hope that all I need is a cleaning -- you have no idea! -- and I am begging for that to be the case. I can see the tartar on my teeth, and I am hoping that a cleaning session can stop things from getting worse. Knowing that this will all be over soon is comforting.

And, again, this appointment will provide me with clarity on where I am at and how I can improve. Sure, I am likely going to be asked "why didn't you come sooner," but I think I can handle those interactions. I'll just say that I was not ready to come.

I'll check back in after the appointment to update y'all on what happened. Wish me luck!

I am back from the dentists with a positive report! I don't need to go back!

The dentist made a few recommendations. Firstly, I should start flossing, because calculus had built up between my teeth. Secondly, I need to be softer with my brushing (I am evidently an overbrusher, which caused some minor gum recession that does not require treatment).

After the dentist's initial inspection, he decided to scale off the tartar on my teeth at the appointment. It took a few minutes -- perhaps two or three -- after which point I got the "see you at your next check-up!"

I am ecstatic right now! I have been worried about my teeth for months, only to realize that all that needed to be done was a quick cleaning. Next time, I'll have a better idea of how to react to dental problems, and be able to take the appropriate course of action. I didn't need to worry as much as I did: I made things so much worse because of my fear of the unknown (of course, that was natural).

Suffice to say, I don't think I am afraid of the dentist as much anymore. We had a great conversation (I found out his father dabbled in programming, which is one of my passions) and the dentist maintained a positive tone throughout our dialog. And the dentist gave me some great advice on how to take care of my teeth!

I want to thank everyone here who has supported me in this journey. I owe y'all a great debt of gratitude, and I am so thankful for everyone who was willing to spend some of their precious time helping me out.

Again, thank you for your support! I'll try to check in every few months -- at the very least every time I have an appointment -- and support someone else in the forum who has a fear of the dentist. For those people who have an appointment, read over this thread! I was scared of going to the dentist for months, only to find out I only needed a quick clean and to revise my brushing technique. I know there are people out there with so much worse going on, but know this: you can do it!

Thanks everyone!

JLambda!

Wow!! This is AWESOME NEWS!! :welldone: :perfect::cheer2: So happy to hear this went so good. Sounds like your dentist would be worthy of keeping around :)... always nice to have something in common and find that. :).....

Back