• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction aftercare....

A

Always.Anxious

Hi I finally had my tooth out yesterday after a long time with a nasty abscess. I'm proud of myself and still slightly surprised at how easy and painless it was.

I'm feeling rather lucky as I am only slightly tender but otherwise perfectly fine ?

The problem is now I am paranoid about dry socket. I'm scared to eat and turn my head to the side to drink, I was told by my dentist to start salt rinses today but I'm worried that swishing the water will loosen the clot.

How long before I can stop worrying about dry socket?
What kind of foods are advisable?
Is it safe to spit (when brushing teeth) now that it's been 24hrs since it was extracted?

Sorry if these questions seem silly I'm just really paranoid.

Thanks in advance xx

Hey wowie good job for getting that icky tooth out that was giving you issues. :jump::XXLhug:

For starters youll know if you have dry socket cuz it'll hurt like crazy.
After 3 days or more you should be in the clear. :)

For rinsing with salt water just tilt your head back and forth and dont spit, just let it kinda drool out of your mouth.

It's probably best to do soft foods for a bit, although Im going to assume it was only on one side so maybe if your really careful you can eat normally on the good side? If not stick with stuff like yogurt, applesauce, pudding, jello, mashed potatoes and soups.

Hey, I've had two teeth extracted before. My second one was done a few days ago.

In a nutshell:
- As long as you're not swishing the salt water really hard, you should be fine. Just be gentle with it. Don't force it around hard in your mouth, just some gentle swishing and it shouldn't cause any harm.

- Avoid causing suction effects in your mouth. For example, don't suck on a straw. Spitting can also cause that suction effect in your mouth, so instead of spitting I would advise gently rinsing your mouth out with water after brushing.

- Avoid chewing anything hard near the tooth socket. As for food, anything that's soft works. If you chew anything harder then all you have to do is just be mindful of the socket. Avoid chewing anything harder around it.

- You should be fine drinking things that may go into/over the socket after a couple days. You could probably do it sooner than a couple of days as long as you think the clot is formed. I just waited a couple days myself to make sure all the bleeding has stopped so nothing I drank would interfere with the clot in the socket forming.

I had a tooth extracted a few days ago and I'm drinking over it just fine.

Tho I'm not exactly sure when you can start drinking from straws/spitting/etc and stuff again. Someone else might know a answer to that

Hey, I've had two teeth extracted before. My second one was done a few days ago.

In a nutshell:
- As long as you're not swishing the salt water really hard, you should be fine. Just be gentle with it. Don't force it around hard in your mouth, just some gentle swishing and it shouldn't cause any harm.

- Avoid causing suction effects in your mouth. For example, don't suck on a straw. Spitting can also cause that suction effect in your mouth, so instead of spitting I would advise gently rinsing your mouth out with water after brushing.

- Avoid chewing anything hard near the tooth socket. As for food, anything that's soft works. If you chew anything harder then all you have to do is just be mindful of the socket. Avoid chewing anything harder around it.

- You should be fine drinking things that may go into/over the socket after a couple days. You could probably do it sooner than a couple of days as long as you think the clot is formed. I just waited a couple days myself to make sure all the bleeding has stopped so nothing I drank would interfere with the clot in the socket forming.

I had a tooth extracted a few days ago and I'm drinking over it just fine.

Tho I'm not exactly sure when you can start drinking from straws/spitting/etc and stuff again. Someone else might know a answer to that

Usually its 2 weeks for a straw.

I had my 4 wisdom's out 2 weeks ago and they told me I could start spitting a couple days after, but honestly i'd prolly wait for spitting for a week along with the straw being 2 weeks.

Back