• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extractions/bone grafting in 3 days

B

Beccab213

Good evening,
I’m having two extractions (#18 and #19) with bone grafting and dental implants on Tuesday. I’ve had extractions, bone grafting, and implants before on my upper teeth, but I’m scared to do this on my lower teeth. The teeth have already been root canaled and I’ll be having this procedure under local anesthesia. Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks!

@Beccab213 Hey! I feel like I might have told you about this before, so I am sorry if I am telling you something you heard already. I had on my lower jaw extraction of an impacted wisdom tooth (along with upper wisdom tooth extracted in the same session), and on the lower jaw extraction of a baby tooth, and a dental implant, all with local anesthesia only. All the procedures were painless expect the injections were mildly painful, and during the implant the grip of the dentists hand on the outside of my jaw was a bit uncomfortable. The implant procedure has some noises, like scraping noises as well as normal drilling noises, and a ratcheting wrench was used that made a loud clicking noise, it was also very time consuming, taking close to three hours for one implant. The lower jaw extraction of the wisdom tooth was noisier with cracking noises then the upper jaw one, and also caused the dentist to tightly hold my jaw. However there was nothing like feeling more in the lower jaw than the upper jaw. Since I had wisdom teeth extracted from the upper jaw and the lower jaw in the same session, I could compare the experience with the different jaws pretty well. I would say the only difference was the lower jaw one was a bit noisier and the dentist holding the jaw. I didn't have any more feeling in the lower jaw, or find the extraction more uncomfortable in the lower jaw than the upper. Hope this is useful! Good luck on Tuesday!

@NervousUSA Thanks so very much! I’m just so nervous. Thank you again for the kind words and encouragement!

The days running up to the procedures and the waiting are so hard when the time gets close especially, I know. I think you once said to me the anticipation was worse than the thing itself? That turned out to be true for me, I bet it will be like that for you too.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the support. I’m looking forward to this being done and moving forward.

@Beccab213 Anytime! Yes it will be so good for it to all be over. Let us know how it goes.

@Beccab213just checking in to see how things went? Hope you’re healing well☺️

It went well. It took a little longer than expected due to one of my teeth having a twisted root, but we got through it. He extracted the two teeth, put in the first stage implants, and bone grafting. I’m having some minor pain, but it’s well controlled with the pain medication. Thanks so much for checking in!

Thanks so very much! I really appreciated all the support!

@Beccab213so, so glad you‘re doing well! Just think, the worst is literally behind you! I know from experience! Congrats!!

So glad it went well. I have something similar (failed root canal on a front tooth that now needs extraction) and I'll be under local anesthetic only. It's really encouraging to know others have had something like what I need done and have survived!

Back