• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme fear of wisdom tooth extraction

M

Marylly

Hi,
I’m 40 years old and still have all of my wisdom teeth. The top two are fully erupted and point slightly toward my cheeks, and the bottom two are both horizontally impacted. The left is lower and barely visible. The right is partially erupted. I didn’t go to the dentist for many years and first went back about 6-8 years ago. They told me to get them removed, but it took so much courage just to go back to the dentist after all those years, I couldn’t deal with surgery. I have continued to keep up with regular cleanings and X-rays. I had a consultation with an oral surgeon a year ago, and he said at this age, the risk could be greater than the reward and if I wasn’t having problems, it may be best to leave them alone. A few days ago, I started feeling pressure in the area of the right partially erupted tooth. Now it feels like the first and second molars are pushing together really tightly. I called for another consultation and got an appointment for two weeks from now. I’m now panicking that that is too far away. I fear i will lose the other molars or they will crack from the pressure or that so much damage has been done the it will cause major damage to my jaw bone. I don’t have pain when opening my jaw or biting, it’s a constant pressure. Of course I have many fears about the surgery and recovery. Do I need to get in sooner? Will I lose other molars? The first one already has a very old filling, but the second has not shown decay on xrays. Thank you.

Hi sorry I can’t answer your dental reslted questions and Sorry to hear you are panicking about it. Also well done for making an appointment and keeping up with regular appointments despite you fear. You should be proud.

In relation to the surgery and recovery I had horizontally impacted wisdom teeth removed and cam tell you about my experience of recovery etc. Honestly the recovery was smoother than I had imagined! I can be more specific if you have any questions.

Thank you for the support! I’m glad your recovery went smoothly. How old were you when you had it done?

Hi, I am not an expert but I had impacted wisdom teeth and they were causing overcrowding in my teeth. One wisdom tooth was trying to come out and it caused pain and pressure in the surrounding area. Went to my dentist after x-rays they decided to take all 4 wisdom teeth out. I was put on IV and all 4 were taken out at the same day. I know you are panicking about it, I was too. Just communicate your concerns with your dentist and they will take care of you. After my extraction I didn't even need to take the pain killers they gave me. Wishing you the best and I hope it all works out for you.

Thank you for the support! I’m glad your recovery went smoothly. How old were you when you had it done?

Hi so it was the other year so I was 24 at the time.

Hi, I am not an expert but I had impacted wisdom teeth and they were causing overcrowding in my teeth. One wisdom tooth was trying to come out and it caused pain and pressure in the surrounding area. Went to my dentist after x-rays they decided to take all 4 wisdom teeth out. I was put on IV and all 4 were taken out at the same day. I know you are panicking about it, I was too. Just communicate your concerns with your dentist and they will take care of you. After my extraction I didn't even need to take the pain killers they gave me. Wishing you the best and I hope it all works out for you.

I agree I didn’t take all my painkillers either!

Back