• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme Teeth Sensitivity during and after Treatment

L

leahnicole

I've been to the dentist 3 times in 2 weeks. This is my dentist Ive been seeing for 15 years. I completely trust them and have never had a painful visit until yesterday. Initially, I went due to lingering pain in all my upper teeth on the right side (Teeth 2-6) It started as cold sensitivity back a few months ago but then resolved. Then I started having pressure sensitivity and some teeth started to feel stingy. I clench my teeth night and day and have for a long time? I have a nightguard but have not been compliant. I think I may need a new one at this point?

At the first visit, the dentist did all tests including X-rays and recommended a RCT on tooth #5 and filling on #4. Went back a week later for tooth #30 pain and saw a different dentist she did all the same testing (pulp, vitality, xrays) she said she would like to hold off on the RCT on tooth #5 for now because she didn't see anything unusual in the xray? She said she will fill tooth 4 (surface) and do an onlay on tooth 2 because its a huge cracked filling from 2005. She prescribed antibiotics due to some ear and throat pain I was also having.

I went yesterday and had the work done. She numbed me but I wasn't as numb as I usually am?. She did the cold test on the two teeth and I didn't feel it so she proceeded. I was doing really great while she drilled out tooth 2 and prepared the onlay. I think at this point an hour had passed and I was feeling a great deal of sensitivity. They then started to work on tooth 4 and I could feel everything. She gave me another lidocaine injection but I don't think it worked. I started to have more extreme sensitivity and pain radiating up thru my jaw. It was an unrelenting pain that would not ease up? My bottom teeth even hurt. She gave me another injection because of the pain but still didn't work? I've never ever had pain during dental work? I let her finish (maybe 10 minutes) and she was done. I stayed in extreme pain for almost an hour after I left. I was in tears my teeth, jaw head everything on that side hurt. The pain was almost electric/sensitive and gripping. I still have it periodically today - Im tired my mouth hurts but I can eat and drink? Its the weirdest thing?:confused:

I'm super worried and never want to have treatment again. This experience has made me fear going back. Was I just not numb enough or do I have something majorly wrong with me? The dentist is going to see me Monday for a 3D xray of my mouth to see what might be causing all my issues? My luck Ill need 8 root canals or something.

Last edited:
Hi it really annoys me when a dentist cannot get you numb and tries to carry on. They should just stop pack the tooth and investigate what the problem is. They can always do it another day.

I would have a word with your dentist and explain how you feel when you go on Monday, it would be a shame to leave after all the years you have had good treatment from them. It is going to be hard for you to return but if the dentist deals with this properly with you, you will get your confidence back again.

All the best to you for Monday :)

I'm really sorry for this too... I agree with Carole.. if they aren't able to get you numb then pack it up and try again. not put you through the suffering. ugh. that is hard.. I know my dentist who is good wtih anxiety would not want me going through the suffering and would stop.. Did you let her know at all you were feeling the pain or just bear with it. ? I would definately let her know the full extent and that you do not want to go through that again.. its really hard to speak up sometimes.. and we take more than we should sometimes and just suffer.. I hope you can find some relief from all this..

Back