• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

EXTREMELY anxious over wisdom teeth removal

D

dentalness

I have an awful gag reflex, and just thinking about the surgery which is scheduled for 10 days from now makes me feel like I’m going to vomit. I’m scared that the nitrous oxide will smell/taste bad and make me want to vomit, and I asked for some type of anti-anxiety meds, but the doctor said they don’t give meds for the night before or for any anxiety prior to the removal. I’m going to have to call my physician to see what they can do for getting something for that. Does anyone know if something like valium or xanax help for that? I’d honestly rather die than get the surgery. I truly cannot handle the anxiety from it. This is probably one of the worst cases of anxiety I’ve ever had, if not THE worst. It’s almost never so bad that I’d rather die because I’m too mentally weak to handle anything like this. The sutures that my office offers are made from animal collagen, and I’m a vegetarian. I just don’t feel comfortable with having stitches in my mouth until they dissolve, and especially because of what they’re made from. I can barely eat and it’s over a week away. I’m also nervous that I’m going to say something offensive or “not like me” after the removal. Are you able to really control what you’re saying when you wake up from IV sedation + laughing gas? All I see are those videos of people saying crazy things afterwards. I could probably list a lot more about what I’m nervous about, but I need help. There’s absolutely no way I’ll be able to even get out of bed that morning. Just going for the consultation made me feel sick today. I’m in desperate need of anti-anxiety meds and it’s over a week before the scheduled date. I don’t know what to do. I have a minor infection in my gums due to one of my teeth, and it’s like a ticking timebomb. It has to get done before it becomes worse, but I can’t handle it AT ALL.

Any advice or recommendations would help a little bit. Thank you

I have an awful gag reflex, and just thinking about the surgery which is scheduled for 10 days from now makes me feel like I’m going to vomit. I’m scared that the nitrous oxide will smell/taste bad and make me want to vomit, and I asked for some type of anti-anxiety meds, but the doctor said they don’t give meds for the night before or for any anxiety prior to the removal. I’m going to have to call my physician to see what they can do for getting something for that. Does anyone know if something like valium or xanax help for that? I’d honestly rather die than get the surgery. I truly cannot handle the anxiety from it. This is probably one of the worst cases of anxiety I’ve ever had, if not THE worst. It’s almost never so bad that I’d rather die because I’m too mentally weak to handle anything like this. The sutures that my office offers are made from animal collagen, and I’m a vegetarian. I just don’t feel comfortable with having stitches in my mouth until they dissolve, and especially because of what they’re made from. I can barely eat and it’s over a week away. I’m also nervous that I’m going to say something offensive or “not like me” after the removal. Are you able to really control what you’re saying when you wake up from IV sedation + laughing gas? All I see are those videos of people saying crazy things afterwards. I could probably list a lot more about what I’m nervous about, but I need help. There’s absolutely no way I’ll be able to even get out of bed that morning. Just going for the consultation made me feel sick today. I’m in desperate need of anti-anxiety meds and it’s over a week before the scheduled date. I don’t know what to do. I have a minor infection in my gums due to one of my teeth, and it’s like a ticking timebomb. It has to get done before it becomes worse, but I can’t handle it AT ALL.

Any advice or recommendations would help a little bit. Thank you

Hi there,

First I want to tell you that you're not alone in feeling the way you do. I recently had a major oral surgery and was scared to death to the point of needing valium in order to put myself in the chair. That being said, I'm really quite surprised your oral surgeon wouldn't accommodate your request for something. My son just had his wisdom
Teeth extracted this past Friday and the surgeon gave him a prescription for valium to take both the night before and the morning of his appointment, and we didn't even request it. He gives it to prevent anxiety in his patients. Are you in the USA? I can't remember if you said you were or weren't. I wouldn't settle for a procedure you're uncomfortable with when there are dentists and oral surgeons willing to help patients with dental anxiety feel more secure.

As far as what you will say under sedation, I wouldn't worry too much about that. You won't remember any of it, and the dentist and staff aren't going to ask you to speak them except to answer simple yes and no questions. You won't be getting into conversations. My son was pretty drowsy after he had his wisdom teeth out and had a hard time understanding me but he didn't say anything weird. My husband said after my surgery I just asked him for some water in the car and then slept almost the whole ride home, so there was no humiliating exchange there. I think most of the time when people say weird things under sedation it's because the person with them is egging it on or leading them to say things. You can ask whomever is with you to please not video tape or take pictures of you because you're worried about that. And talk with the office about your anxiety and how you're not uncomfortable going through the procedure without something to calm you. Or you can ask to see another dentist who will listen to your concerns. Dental anxiety is a very real thing and you aren't alone so please at least know that. Keep us updated please.

Hi there,

First I want to tell you that you're not alone in feeling the way you do. I recently had a major oral surgery and was scared to death to the point of needing valium in order to put myself in the chair. That being said, I'm really quite surprised your oral surgeon wouldn't accommodate your request for something. My son just had his wisdom
Teeth extracted this past Friday and the surgeon gave him a prescription for valium to take both the night before and the morning of his appointment, and we didn't even request it. He gives it to prevent anxiety in his patients. Are you in the USA? I can't remember if you said you were or weren't. I wouldn't settle for a procedure you're uncomfortable with when there are dentists and oral surgeons willing to help patients with dental anxiety feel more secure.

As far as what you will say under sedation, I wouldn't worry too much about that. You won't remember any of it, and the dentist and staff aren't going to ask you to speak them except to answer simple yes and no questions. You won't be getting into conversations. My son was pretty drowsy after he had his wisdom teeth out and had a hard time understanding me but he didn't say anything weird. My husband said after my surgery I just asked him for some water in the car and then slept almost the whole ride home, so there was no humiliating exchange there. I think most of the time when people say weird things under sedation it's because the person with them is egging it on or leading them to say things. You can ask whomever is with you to please not video tape or take pictures of you because you're worried about that. And talk with the office about your anxiety and how you're not uncomfortable going through the procedure without something to calm you. Or you can ask to see another dentist who will listen to your concerns. Dental anxiety is a very real thing and you aren't alone so please at least know that. Keep us updated please.

Thank you, just reading through the positive stories on this forum have been helpful to me. I live in the US, and my doctor said that anti-anxiety meds are never prescribed at that office because “you won’t need them”. The doctor and nurse just really did not understand how much anxiety I have on a daily basis, and how much oral surgery ramps it up, even when I tried to explain it. I’m going to talk to my primary care doctor and see what they can do since they know about my anxiety and may be able to put in a request or prescribe me medication for the night before and day of. How much did the valium help you? I’ve taken medication for depression before which can help with anxiety, but never meds specifically for anxiety. I just want to make sure it works well so I can eventually get this done. I will definitely post updates, and hopefully my last update will be to say that it went significantly better than expected!

Hi Kii,

Let me begin by saying that you sound a lot like I did 2 months ago. I had put this surgery off for 8 years and finally convinced myself to go through with it.

The fear I had the month before was brutal. I did not eat for 1 week (other than a few crackers per day), and did not sleep more than a few hours at night. I would full panic attacks in bed and need to get up and walk around. I was so anxious that it negatively affected my performance at both school (university) and work too.

I pushed through and showed up for the appointment. Got in the chair nervous as ever and they hooked me up to everything. The moment they started the laughing gas I was feeling alright. I had opted for the IV Deep Sedation which meant I was going to be fully knocked out using a mixture of medication and propofol. The IV was slipped in (honestly isn't so bad). As I waited for the doctor to come into the room I just laughed at random things due to the gas. When the doctor came in he tried talking to me as he started administering the meds. I was trying to ask a question and before I knew it I was being woken up. It was like no time had passed and there was no memory or pain whatsoever. There was no dizzy feeling going out or anything. I remember waking up in the chair and being wheeled over to recovery. I did not say funny things like you see all over the internet (thankfully):innocent:.

I was so good that after being home for 1 hour I decided to take a light stroll to the coffee shop. Couldn't eat for 4 days but the joy of having gotten this over with was better :jump:.

I know I was told a thousand times to not worry but honestly don't worry. Just show up, and trust that you're in good hands (assuming you are comfortable with your Oral Surgeon).

You'll be writing your success story in no time at all :respect:.

Thank you, just reading through the positive stories on this forum have been helpful to me. I live in the US, and my doctor said that anti-anxiety meds are never prescribed at that office because “you won’t need them”. The doctor and nurse just really did not understand how much anxiety I have on a daily basis, and how much oral surgery ramps it up, even when I tried to explain it. I’m going to talk to my primary care doctor and see what they can do since they know about my anxiety and may be able to put in a request or prescribe me medication for the night before and day of. How much did the valium help you? I’ve taken medication for depression before which can help with anxiety, but never meds specifically for anxiety. I just want to make sure it works well so I can eventually get this done. I will definitely post updates, and hopefully my last update will be to say that it went significantly better than expected!

The valium helped me tremendously! I was feeling so sick the morning of my surgery. I woke up crying and started shaking in fear. My husband told me to take the pill so it could help me, because I didn't want to take it. I've had anxiety for years and never have taken medication because I don't want to become dependent on it to feel "normal". However, about 20 minutes later it started to work. I was just really chill and a little sleepy. When I got to the dentist office I remember going through the motions of signing in and using the bathroom, answering questions, being put in the chair and feeling like I should be upset but I wasn't at all. It's like the connection between your fearful thoughts and emotions is cut off for the time being so even if you think about what's going to happen you don't get scared. Also, once the IV is in and they administer the sedative, it's Goodnight sweetheart and the next thing you know you're getting up and leaving. Ask your PCP about something for your anxiety if you feel you really need it.

All I can do is share a few things from my own experience. It was all good so don't be afraid to read further.

I was much like you. Scared out of my mind. I obsessively thought about the surgery and how horrible it all sounded. The surgeon thought, during the consultation, that it would help me when he showed me someone else under IV sedation who had just finished the procedure, but that scared me even more. I came to dread being sedated more than anything else. Something about the thought of being put to sleep and not being in control disturbed me to no end. The surgeon prescribed some kind of tranquilizer for me to take before hand (don't remember what it was - too long ago). It didn't seem to help much. They took my pulse when I went in for the procedure and they were surprised at how fast my heart was racing.

When the time came, as scared as I was back then of needles, I really don't remember the IV going in or that it hurt or anything. People were just chatting, and suddenly the room seemed to turn kind of yellow, and then suddenly they started shaking me on the shoulders. I couldn't figure out why they were trying to keep me awake when the point was for me to go to sleep. I didn't realize that an hour had gone by and the procedure was all over.

As for the experience right after the procedure, it wasn't bad. Kind of like being half asleep and in a dream. Oddly enough, I found it kind of interesting if not kind of fun. I wasn't in any pain or anything, just so very groggy. I think I hammed it up a bit - enjoying the attention I was getting and hearing people around me trying to make sure I was comfortable. And then I went home and went to bed and slept it off.

But here's a few things to note from my experience. No guarantee your experience will be exactly the same, but for what it's worth.
#1 I never suffered any pain. I don't even remember ever being sore (I'm sure I was given pain pills).
#2 The IV sedation is your best friend. I mean, as scary as it may seem, it sure beats the alternative.
#3 You have no sense of time passing when under IV sedation. You're just sitting there, and then it's over, just like that. It's a wonderful thing.
#4 In hindsight I realized that all of my worry was for nothing.

Again - that doesn't mean your experience will be just like mine - but there's good reason to think that it will be. I hope so.

It'll be okay. It really will. And you'll be okay. This will all be over soon and you'll be able to move on to other things. And someday you'll help some nervous friend who is going through it.

I got my appointment pushed up today to get it over with, and it went SO well, I’m shocked!! Thank you for the kind words! They really did help.

I made a success thread about it here if you want to read about my pleasant experience :)

It really did go well!! The waiting was the worst part, the rest was honestly went really well. About an hour after the removal I was feeling great and I still don’t have any pain! I feel so much better now. Thank all of you for the advice and the stories you shared.

If you want to read about my success story, I’ll link it right here:

p.s. Thank you to everyone in this thread that helped me get through this :) It was honestly such a positive experience for me. I really appreciate the love! :XXLhug:

All I can do is share a few things from my own experience. It was all good so don't be afraid to read further.

I was much like you. Scared out of my mind. I obsessively thought about the surgery and how horrible it all sounded. The surgeon thought, during the consultation, that it would help me when he showed me someone else under IV sedation who had just finished the procedure, but that scared me even more. I came to dread being sedated more than anything else. Something about the thought of being put to sleep and not being in control disturbed me to no end. The surgeon prescribed some kind of tranquilizer for me to take before hand (don't remember what it was - too long ago). It didn't seem to help much. They took my pulse when I went in for the procedure and they were surprised at how fast my heart was racing.

When the time came, as scared as I was back then of needles, I really don't remember the IV going in or that it hurt or anything. People were just chatting, and suddenly the room seemed to turn kind of yellow, and then suddenly they started shaking me on the shoulders. I couldn't figure out why they were trying to keep me awake when the point was for me to go to sleep. I didn't realize that an hour had gone by and the procedure was all over.

As for the experience right after the procedure, it wasn't bad. Kind of like being half asleep and in a dream. Oddly enough, I found it kind of interesting if not kind of fun. I wasn't in any pain or anything, just so very groggy. I think I hammed it up a bit - enjoying the attention I was getting and hearing people around me trying to make sure I was comfortable. And then I went home and went to bed and slept it off.

But here's a few things to note from my experience. No guarantee your experience will be exactly the same, but for what it's worth.
#1 I never suffered any pain. I don't even remember ever being sore (I'm sure I was given pain pills).
#2 The IV sedation is your best friend. I mean, as scary as it may seem, it sure beats the alternative.
#3 You have no sense of time passing when under IV sedation. You're just sitting there, and then it's over, just like that. It's a wonderful thing.
#4 In hindsight I realized that all of my worry was for nothing.

Again - that doesn't mean your experience will be just like mine - but there's good reason to think that it will be. I hope so.

It'll be okay. It really will. And you'll be okay. This will all be over soon and you'll be able to move on to other things. And someday you'll help some nervous friend who is going through it.

THANK YOU! I am going to get 2 of my wisdom teeth removed, but it hasn't erupted yet. I am dead afraid with the blades and the needles. I don't think my dentist will give me an IV sedation, probably just an LA. I'm wondering is LA enough to reduce the pain totally? I've been reading many stories about extraction using IV sedation. Realizing I won't get one, i don't think i'm mentally prepared:cry:

Back