• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extremely nervous about implant pain.

S

Simba-ali34

Hi

I have had 9 appointments for a front tooth implant and every visit has given me panic attacks so I thought I'd share my story and hopefully if anyone can contribute or offer advice i would very much appreciate it and maybe help others.

I have had the implant and crown in place for about 6 months and when the crown was first placed I had pain when biting on it, I built up the courage to book a check up and was told everything looked good and no sign of infection.

2 months later the pain seemed to have improved and i could lightly bite on it but was still having problems biting on anything hard such as an apple....I again booked a check up and for an entire week had constant dread as to why it wasn't healing and feeling like I was being an inconvenience to the dentist. I was told again (after an x-ray) that the implant was properly placed and no sign of infection.

After that appointment I was told to leave it 3 months and see if i have any improvement...well it's been 3 months and the implant is pretty much the same as when it was first placed.

I can have days where I eat on it with no problems and forget it's even an implant and then others I can bite on it and have a mild feeling of it being sore and a slightly throbbing sensation that follows no real pattern of what causes it apart from alot of biting pressure. Also if I press the gum on the roof of my mouth I get the sensation of a bruise...no pain but just a pressure sensation. It's worth mentioning that none of this pain is overbearing or requires me to take medication.

I know this is not normal and the implant will more than likely fail, but the original tooth was removed due to a long standing infection over a 10 year period, a bone graft was required and I had extreme pain when the tooth was removed.

I get extremely nervous with every phone call to book an appointment and every time I'm in the chair requires a week to build up the courage.

What is the best way forward? No problem can be seen from my dentist on visual inspection and x-rays are coming back clear according to him. The pain is not getting worse but is stagnant. Could it be that the area is sensitive after such a prolonged infection and will always have discomfort? Should I ask for an updated 3d scan that could shed more light? I'm fed up of the constant check ups and being told everything still looks good....im rubbish with confrontation!

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, no advice, but I hope they can figure it out. This is my fear with my front tooth. I have a consult in a few weeks to get it extracted and get an implant. I had a large abscess originally, and had biting pain and the bruised feeling in the roof of the mouth like you described after both a root canal and an apicoectomy. So I am worried that it will be the same after the bone graft and implant.

In all honesty I would probably be fine to live with the implant if the dentist said ithe discomfort was to be expected. It's more the not knowing what's going to happen to it....

Is your abscess a long term problem? I hit my front tooth which then died without me realising and I had an infection for years with no pain as it had a fistula hole.

I hope all goes ok with the extraction, if my experience can be any help let me know!

In all honesty I would probably be fine to live with the implant if the dentist said ithe discomfort was to be expected. It's more the not knowing what's going to happen to it....

Is your abscess a long term problem? I hit my front tooth which then died without me realising and I had an infection for years with no pain as it had a fistula hole.

I hope all goes ok with the extraction, if my experience can be any help let me know!

I hit my tooth as a child as well. I also had an ongoing infection with no pain, but instead of a fistula, it spread back into my palate. It became painful last year and the abscess was discovered, so it was a long term infection as well.

I have had one implant, on a molar, but don't have the crown yet, so I don't know how it will react. It did not have a long term infection.

PM Comfortdentist, he knows more about implants than most of us do.

I had a similar situation soon after I had my final implant crown placed for my front teeth. Some days I never knew they were implants, other days varying degrees of discomfort, and throbbing pain. Then one day I had a bowl of Laksa and a piece of chilli lodged under the gum and i was in was agony! And in major panic mode.

I made an appointment with the dentist who took an X-ray found nothing wrong and she sent me to the periodontist who placed the implants and bone grafts. The upshot was that I had taken their advice about flossing around the implant too zealously and had damaged the gum and certain foods increased the inflammation. He told me to leave the area alone for 5 days and see if it improved. It did and now I have a newer, gentler technique for cleaning around my implants.

Not saying this is the case in your situation, but it might be worth asking your dentist about the condition of the gums around your implants.

Hey,

I've found that flossing definitely makes the biting down pain and gum sensitivity worse, I once left it for a couple of days not flossing at all and it was so much better.

I have 2 molar implants aswell with no pain at all, but they didn't have the complicated infection history of my front tooth.