• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extremely Nervous

P

phsgirl

On Monday I'm getting my upper wisdom tooth out (I only have 1 upper wisdom tooth). I am freaking out big time. I heard uppers are easier than lowers, but I'm afraid of how much swelling there will be, that the bleeding won't stop, and that I'll never be the same lol. Any advice? I'm only having local...anyone else had 1 out with just local? They tell me there will be no pain, just pressure....hopefully nothing too horrendous. Advice for this nervous person is welcome! Thanks:)

Hi there will be no pain while the dentist is extracting the tooth, you may feel a bit sore after, nothing that pain meds won't deal with. Your jaw may ache but that will pass too. You will be okay, everyone heals at different times so it is hard to give you healing times. :XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

Upper wisdoms are said to be easier, there is no nerve running across the top ones like there is on the bottom jaw. You will be surprised how quickly this is over with and you will be back to feeling normal in no time. Follow the after care instructions and if at any time after you are worried contact your dentist and let them advise you.

I am sure things will go very well for you, the last tooth I had out I didn't feel any pressure and I didn't know the tooth had gone until the dentist told me he was done and I could go. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Your answer made me feel better:) Did you just have local when you got a wisdom tooth out? How was the shot? i'm also worried that will hurt, but I've heard oral surgeons give some numbing gel so the shot isn't felt much. And also I don't plan on taking painkillers b/c of side effects like nausea. Is that crazy or is the discomfort afterwards manageable?

If i were you I'd take at least ibuprofen after the extraction..It won't cause nausea if you eat something like pudding before ..I can't take the prescription pain meds because they make me really sick and give me a headache! So I've used ibuprofen before the novacaine wore off..And if you use ice packs on your face that will feel good and keep the swelling down...Best wishes....

I had all four of mine out at the same time and it was 25 years ago, I also had other things done at the same time. I had GA and I was sore for about two weeks, I took pain meds for a few days and yes my jaw did ache and I was swollen.

It will be okay, ask for the topical to be used, even if they don't use it injections can be given without pain if done slowly. Don't worry too much, I can tell you that how you feel now and the stress you are putting yourself through is the worst part of this extraction :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5:

How did it go? I'm scheduled for May 14 after canceling 100 times dues fears, health and family. Please let me know how you did with just Motrin. I can't take pain meds either. Mine is upper too one tooth and told simple. Thank you...

How did it go? I'm scheduled for May 14 after canceling 100 times dues fears, health and family. Please let me know how you did with just Motrin. I can't take pain meds either. Mine is upper too one tooth and told simple. Thank you...
My experience was great, I feel so lucky. Afterwards, I just felt a dull ache and never even took aspirin! The 2nd day my mouth just felt a little weird, but no pain. And on day 3 I went out shopping! I was hungry from only being able to chew on one side, but it was not as bad as I had feared! And I had no swelling. When I went back to work people couldn't believe I had just had oral surgery. My surgeon was fab. Unfortunately he retired and now I have to go to his partner in the practice to get my lower one out.

Well done :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: glad it all went well for you. :butterfly:

Back