• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of Appt for Root Canal Treatment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fiona
  • Start date Start date
F

Fiona

Junior member
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
3
Hi there,

I finally manged to pluck up the courage there last month to go to the Dentist after 4 years and overcame my main fear - embarrassment by just opening my mouth to let the Dentist examine my teeth - how embarrassing...!

Anyway, I have got my first appt to get work done next Tuesday and am feeling physically sick about it...

It's for root canal treatment - I'm dreading it as I've heard it's very painful!

I would be grateful if anyone can put my mind at ease with regard to this treatment...

Ta, Fiona
 
Hi Fiona :) I had a root canal a couple months ago and felt no pain at all during the procedure. It's similar to getting a filling, only it takes a little longer.

Best of luck, I hope this helps
 
I agree, I was terrified of my root canal, but it didn't hurt a bit. It takes a little time so it's actually kind of boring, so you might want to bring an ipod or something. The tooth might be sore for a couple of days afterwards, but a few extra strength over the counter painkillers should take care of that.
 
Dear Fiona,
Please do not worry yourself. If you click on my name and see the posts I have written, that may help to calm your nerves ( I hope so!)
Most of my posts are on the root canal anxiety and treatment I had a little while ago. On one of them I went into quite a lot of detail on how I managed to keep calm and on the procedure itself.
I have to be honest and say that our imagination and anticipation of how we think it will be and how it actualy is, are often very different.
Love and best wishes
Julie
xx
 
Hi all, ;D

I am 12 and have already had a root canal treatment well actully I am in the mist of one.
It is really 100% painless if you are numbed it does go for a while for me it took a couple of days {only because I hadn'd been to the dentist for 3 years and at the end of my last session 3years ago it was already beginning to devolop and my tooth was infected - almost needed an extraction} You will need a needle first but ask for numbing cream it will stop you feeling anything atherwise it is only a little bit more painful than a needle in your arm. Good luck and remember it is 100% painless

Ta Ta Issie [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
I've had three this past year. I didn't have any pain during the procedures other than a bit of discomfort from the needles.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top