• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of Dental Injections SORTED

P

PinkBubbles

I had a bad experience with another dentist. He made the needles last half a second and they really hurt. Turns out, he was only doing it for money :o I changed dentists and he said that 2 fillings, I didn't need. I was terrified when my dentist said I needed a filling because one had fallen out slightly.

I got there and started crying, this wasn't my usual new dentist, it was a girl one, called Michelle. She was a Dental Therapist apparently! She could tell somthing was wrong so she talked me through it, and how that place is very easy to do. After a few minuites I asked- "Do you promise it wont hurt?" and she said yes. So usually I wouldn't want to close my eyes (i'm too jumpy) But I did anyway. I'd had numbing gel and that was it, no special needle or any gas. Just a hand to hold and some cream. I could FEEL it, but it didn't hurt. I was aware it was happening but it really didn't hurt! At the end I told her it didn't hurt and she said "That was because its the pressure that hurts you, because I went slow you didn't feel it.

The rest was a breeze! I didn't especially LIKE the drill (It sprayed water which tasted funny) But because I was gulping too much she switched to one without water. It buzzed and tickled :giggle: But that didn't hurt either, I actually quite liked that one. Unlike my old dentist who put a packet or something of the material in my mouth and scraped it in, these squirted it into my tooth!
I HAVE OFFICIALLY CONQUERED MY FEAR OF NEEDLES!

And here's advice for needle phobics, if it hurts the first time, change dentists. Just cancel your appointments and LEAVE. My new dentist is REALLY gentle. Never ask for it quick, or the pressure makes it hurt. I used to be a severe needle phobic, but all is clear now! Dental Injections = SORTED!

:jump::jump::jump::yay::yay::yay:
Thankyou to everyone who helped me in the Forums!
31/03/09 - Im not allowed hard foods or fizzy drinks today! Awww.. I wanted to celebrate! I feel like chipmunk and cant raise one side of my face! But it'll wear off in a few hours!

- PinkFruit :yay:

Last edited:
Super big congratulations! Sounds absolutely great! What about changing your signature now? :)

Hi PinkFruit, that's great news. Hope your future visits go as well.

Congratulations, that's a huge breakthrough and I'm sure is a great positive story for other phobics. Perhaps it's time to change your signature then? ;)

I was once a severe Needle Phobic, :o
But its suprising how a change of dentists,

Can help me forget, :p
A bad experience,
And leave me, :)
With a smile on my face,

That's much better - the other signature was a bit scary t.b.h. really pleased for you...tempted to say 'told you so' but I won't ;)

I was once a severe Needle Phobic, :o
But its suprising how a change of dentists,
Can help me forget, :p
A bad experience,
And leave me, :)
With a smile on my face,

That's much better - the other signature was a bit scary t.b.h. really pleased for you...tempted to say 'told you so' but I won't ;)

Its OK, I feel really silly thinking about how scared I was! And yeh, now I realise my old signature could have made other people become needle phobic!
SORRY GUYS, I WAS JUST REALLY SCARED! ITS NOT THAT BAD! :redface:

Back