A
Anne2021
Well-known member
- Joined
- Jul 8, 2021
- Messages
- 179
- Location
- USA
Hi. I have two teeth that are vulnerable and I believe one or both of them is getting close to needing to be extracted. I have lost eight teeth already (in addition to wisdom teeth) because I can't handle the thought of root canals, so I extract when they need root canals. I had these two teeth (#13 and #14) filled in April. They were deep fillings and already had temperature sensitivity before that. I haven't been using them since then because there are no opposing teeth on the bottom, so I don't know if they would hurt with chewing. They are still temperature sensitive when food touches them.
One or both have not felt normal since I got them filled. It's like when I brush them they feel odd - like they're dead. I don't know if that's just me being me, but since late August I started having more of a feeling of pressure and like it's itchy under the gums. I can't tell if it's one or both teeth. I went to the dentist and he said that can often mean the nerve is dead or dying, but he saw nothing suspicious on x-ray and thought they looked good. He doesn't do the cold test. I left it at that, but now two months later, the pressure feeling is more frequent. The weird thing is that it's worse when I'm stressed, especially work stress, and I know I carry tension in my face when I'm stressed out. I can feel myself clenching my jaw on that side even though teeth don't actually touch over there.
The worst part for me is that I am living in terrible fear about the palatal injection should one or both be extracted. I know people say that it can be painful, which doesn't sound great, but that's not the worst of it. As far as upper teeth go, I have had both upper wisdom teeth extracted (more than 30 years ago), #15 (upper left second molar-14 years ago), #2 (upper right second molar-13 years ago), and #12 (upper left first pre-molar-4 years ago). I don't remember anything specifically about the anesthetic from #15 and the wisdom teeth. When I had #2 out, I remember my palate being filled with the anesthetic and feeling very much like I was suffocating, not just because I was numb, but because it was actually so full of the anesthetic infiltrating the tissues. I don't remember anything similar with #12 four years ago. I don't know if that was because he used less for a pre-molar or because it was a different oral surgeon. I'm terrified as I feel this pressure and think about going back or seeing someone else who will do the cold test and find out if one or both need to come out, but I am so, so scared of that suffocating sense and the palatal infiltration. I had a considerable amount of pain during the fillings themselves since the fillings were deep and the molar was below the gum line, but I just tolerated it because I did not want the palatal. I couldn't handle it with an extraction though and would need the injection. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about or worked their way through this fear or just anything helpful?
(I'm starting to feel more panicky every day with holidays coming and dental offices taking time off in case I have an emergency - especially Thanksgiving with the four-day weekend).
One or both have not felt normal since I got them filled. It's like when I brush them they feel odd - like they're dead. I don't know if that's just me being me, but since late August I started having more of a feeling of pressure and like it's itchy under the gums. I can't tell if it's one or both teeth. I went to the dentist and he said that can often mean the nerve is dead or dying, but he saw nothing suspicious on x-ray and thought they looked good. He doesn't do the cold test. I left it at that, but now two months later, the pressure feeling is more frequent. The weird thing is that it's worse when I'm stressed, especially work stress, and I know I carry tension in my face when I'm stressed out. I can feel myself clenching my jaw on that side even though teeth don't actually touch over there.
The worst part for me is that I am living in terrible fear about the palatal injection should one or both be extracted. I know people say that it can be painful, which doesn't sound great, but that's not the worst of it. As far as upper teeth go, I have had both upper wisdom teeth extracted (more than 30 years ago), #15 (upper left second molar-14 years ago), #2 (upper right second molar-13 years ago), and #12 (upper left first pre-molar-4 years ago). I don't remember anything specifically about the anesthetic from #15 and the wisdom teeth. When I had #2 out, I remember my palate being filled with the anesthetic and feeling very much like I was suffocating, not just because I was numb, but because it was actually so full of the anesthetic infiltrating the tissues. I don't remember anything similar with #12 four years ago. I don't know if that was because he used less for a pre-molar or because it was a different oral surgeon. I'm terrified as I feel this pressure and think about going back or seeing someone else who will do the cold test and find out if one or both need to come out, but I am so, so scared of that suffocating sense and the palatal infiltration. I had a considerable amount of pain during the fillings themselves since the fillings were deep and the molar was below the gum line, but I just tolerated it because I did not want the palatal. I couldn't handle it with an extraction though and would need the injection. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about or worked their way through this fear or just anything helpful?
(I'm starting to feel more panicky every day with holidays coming and dental offices taking time off in case I have an emergency - especially Thanksgiving with the four-day weekend).
Last edited: