• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

fear of visiting the dentist for extraction of top front center tooth

J

jasonsouza77

hi everyone I need to extract a very shaky and loose tooth but I am really afraid. I delayed making the appointment. and today is the appointment day and guess what I did? I postponed the appointment out of fear. this will be my first adult tooth removal. sincerely hope for much needed advice by anyone who is listening. thanks so much -jason
just to add, I visited my family doc (not dentist) a few days ago for my tooth situation and she prescribed amoxicillin to me and asked me to complete the course. theres still discomfort when I move my lips a certain way but I read that amox takes 48 hours to take effect? doc told me to complete the amox course. thanks again
also I have been watching countless videos on youtube about extraction and it doesn't seem to help. I do admire the courage of those daring to pull out their adult tooth themselves using all kinds of techniques. hmmm

Last edited:
Hi there,

sorry to read about your situation. If you feel unable to get through the extraction now then the question is, what is it that worries you about this? And how do you feel about your dentist? And what do you feel would make things easier for you? By the way, extractions are one of the quickest procedures and if your tooth is lose chances are that it will be a matter of few seconds. Your dentist should be able to give you an estimation.

One piece of advice: get it done. It is not unusual that the pain and discomfort drive people to seek help in the first place. While antibiotics won't solve the problem they probably ease your pain. Given how high your anxiety is I could imagine you would then have no drive to get the tooth out anymore. So please just be aware that if any discomfort disappears, it's only temporary and will get back soon.

If you wish some input, why not read some success stories here on the forum instead of videos on you tube. You will find a lot of people here who conquered their fears.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

okay thank you so much for your kind advice

hi again, does the amoxicillin takes care of the inflamed gums? doesn't seem to work as of yet but when I read online its mentioned that it takes 48h or so. started taking amox on tue 21st may 4pm and now its thurs 6pm 23rd may where I am. thanks

I most likely will have to get my front upper tooth extracted as well, and I understand your fear and anxiety. Unfortunately it will not be my first adult extraction as I have had a run of bad luck with my teeth over the past 8 months, and had to extract three molars. I think extracing the front tooth will be harder emotionally since it is front and center.
To answer your question about the antibiotics, it does usually take a few days. It also may not take away all the pain, depending on how bad the infection is. I had to have two rounds of amoxicillin and a round of clindamycin before the pressure from my lips did not hurt.

I most likely will have to get my front upper tooth extracted as well, and I understand your fear and anxiety. Unfortunately it will not be my first adult extraction as I have had a run of bad luck with my teeth over the past 8 months, and had to extract three molars. I think extracing the front tooth will be harder emotionally since it is front and center.
To answer your question about the antibiotics, it does usually take a few days. It also may not take away all the pain, depending on how bad the infection is. I had to have two rounds of amoxicillin and a round of clindamycin before the pressure from my lips did not hurt.
yes its the same for me as well. I only experience pain/discomfort when there is pressure on my lips.. I think im on the 54th hour of amoxicillin and I don't wanna get my hopes up too quickly but I feel like there is lesser discomfort now and my feverish chills seem to have subsided, sincerely hope the amoxicillin is working :)

just an update everyone. seems like the infection has subsided. gums look better now. at the same time the tooth got much looser. been wiggling it from side to side as well as playing it with my tongue. shall I just pull it out myself? showed the video of me wiggling it to my friends and relatives and they mentioned its crazy super loose. im still fearful of the dentist but at the same time I really want this sucker out of my life period. thanks for listening everyone :)

Are you planning on replacing the tooth with an implant or flipper? I would suggest going to the dentist to get it pulled just in case there is infection still present. Also, and I will say that I am not 100% sure of this as I am not a dentist, but I believe it is important to get the ligament out as well, which the dentist will do.

Are you planning on replacing the tooth with an implant or flipper? I would suggest going to the dentist to get it pulled just in case there is infection still present. Also, and I will say that I am not 100% sure of this as I am not a dentist, but I believe it is important to get the ligament out as well, which the dentist will do.
ummm.. rite now I just wanna get it out first. but maybe ill get a bridge in the future (not implant) by ligament do u mean the root? thanks for your kind reply.
p.s. rite now im on amoxicillin for the infection and ive been rinsing with listerine original for around 4 times a day and drinking ice cold water/fruit juice to relief. I have stopped the painkillers since yesterday

ummm.. rite now I just wanna get it out first. but maybe ill get a bridge in the future (not implant) by ligament do u mean the root? thanks for your kind reply.
p.s. rite now im on amoxicillin for the infection and ive been rinsing with listerine original for around 4 times a day and drinking ice cold water/fruit juice to relief. I have stopped the painkillers since yesterday

Glad you can go without painkillers, and the antibiotics are working! The ligament wraps around part of the tooth and kind of stretches to allow the tooth some movement. I didn't explain that well, but maybe one of the dentists will jump un and explain better. I know my dentist had told me the ligament can get infected or be infected and needs to be removed completely when the tooth is extracted. In the case of my molar, the oral surgeon had to also remove some tissue that was infected as well.

I see.. okay thanks so much for sharing

been wiggling it from side to side as well as playing it with my tongue. shall I just pull it out myself?

I don't think that's a good idea. If you wouldn't mind pulling it yourself, what scares you about letting a dentist pul it?

I don't think that's a good idea. If you wouldn't mind pulling it yourself, what scares you about letting a dentist pul it?
Yes that’s the thing im willing to pull it myself but totally cringe just at the thought of going to my appointment tomorrow. When I woke from my doze. I thought to myself “the appointment is tomorrow. I can’t go through it. How come it’s Monday so soon. “

@jasonsouza77, any news on that appointment? I hope everything is going well.

@jasonsouza77
I am sorry to hear of your fear of extraction. I also suffer with dental phobia, but an extraction is very quick and easy. Some dentists use a ‘wand’ which is different from using a needle, and concentrates the anaesthesia just on the tooth.
I had a tooth extracted 7 days ago, and it was so quick I really did not know it had been done. please let me assure you that to look at an extraction being done is nothing like having it done. You feel nothing, except slight pressure and it is over in a few seconds. You will be given a little wad of cotton wool to bite down on, and that’s it. it actually is a little bit of an anticlimax! Think about how relieved you will feel afterwards, and what is a few minutes out of your life?

Back