• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feel like I'm going back to square one

• Thread starter ihatethedentist
  • Start date
I

ihatethedentist

Right so I've been having problems with my teeth for 4 years now (I'm 22) I brush 2-3 times a day. Have done all my life. I use mouthwash and floss, but I still seem to suffer with my teeth.

In the past 4 years I've have had 4 teeth out. (I had a 2 year gap of not going to a dentist, after I had the first 3 teeth out because that was the highest point of my fear) I had so many problems afterwards I was too scared to go again, until a filling crumbled and I had to get that extracted a few months ago.

My dentist wants me to go back for cleanings and polishings and stuff just to raise my confidence aswell as 6 monthly check ups. My check up isn't until next year, so I've got ages to panic about that, but I've got a deep clean and polish next week and I can just tell I'm going to be a mess.

My worst fear, is the unknown and diagnosis. In my head I know it's just a clean but I've just got a feeling she'll start picking out teeth that need to be pulled or filled.
Last time also she said I've got mild gingivitis. I've been using medicated mouthwash for about 5 months now and I just hope she can see a difference. I can!

Oh and regarding the clean and polish, how painful is it?

I'm sorry you have had such bad luck with your teeth despite all your effort.

The cleanings don't hurt at all, I am terrified of the dentist (to the extent that I didn't go for 20+ years) and I started off with a series of cleaning appointments when I finally returned. I was pleased to see things had changed A LOT since I had last been, the Dentist used a water jet to clean them and it was totally pain free.

Also if you are worried about what they might find tell them this beforehand and ask them to break the news gently. At my first appointment nothing was mentioned other than starting with cleaning to deal with the plaque build up and then take the rest from there, he did say at the end that he had seen nothing that caused concern which was a relief but there was no mention of pockets, gum recession or any scary stuff and that was fine as I really don't want/need to know right now - all I need to concentrate on is getting my mouth (and my phobia) into a healthy state again.

I hope that helps you.

Thank you

My appointment is tomorrow and I'm petrified. I'm not entirely sure what it is they're going to be doing. They mentioned a cleaning. But there are so many different types of cleaning.
How long do these usually take? She gave me the option to be numbed (using gel not a injection) So I'm guessing it's not going to hurt much, and won't take long. If it would hurt, she'd give me the injection wouldn't she?
I've been looking at pictures on Google, and my teeth thankfully are nowhere near that bad. Maybe it'll just be a polish... or she knows something I don't?

I know where you are coming from, not knowing can be really scarey as your mind fills the void in knowledge with all sorts of terrifying things. I'll be honest I have had some major worries about getting treatment but none of my appointments have been anywhere near as bad as I imagined.

The cleaning shouldn't hurt at all, I didn't have or need anaesthetic when I had cleanings. Your Dentist will check with you first with regards sensitivity as everyone is different and, if needed, you might be given some topical anaesthetic.

It sounds like your Dentist is taking a good approach by building up your confidence which is very positive.

Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow.

Just had it done, seriously don't know why I was so worried..
Took literally 5 minutes and she gave me a check up too and said everything was fine, and just to come back in 3 months for my normal check up. I've been dreading this since June!!
There was hardly any deposits or plaque so she didn't spend too long..
I've got a new dentist too, and she's so lovely. She explained everything she was doing and stopped every now and then. Is it right to say I'm strangly looking forward to my next one? ?

Glad to hear it went well.

Back