• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling scared ):

S

Sara13697

Hey, so I feel feel very anxious about my dentist appointment and I can't sleep. So, I was supposed to get 3 fillings done a couple of months ago (around 4 months ago) but due to some circumstances I was unable to until finally I booked an appointment. But I feel very anxious because I feel like I left things too late and maybe a filling won't be enough, and I might need to get root canals done. The cavities are quite big now and very visible and have been there way before my previous dentist appointment 4 months ago so now I am panicking and getting really nervous. I am getting fillings on two of my bottom molars and one of the top teeth but unsure which one. I haven't had a filling done in 7-8 years so unsure about what to expect.

Do you think I will have to get root canals because of how long I delayed getting fillings done? Also, I feel nervous that I might need more treatment done and I might be overthinking because I do have bad anxiety... Any support and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :(

Dear Sara,

Thank you for sharing your story. When it comes to dental problems (like cavities) time is indeed a bad factor. This is causing you anxiety and worries because what I call "the uncertainty factor".

It sounds like you are dealing with deep cavities. If you have no financial limitations, I would suggest aggressive approach and performing root canal treatments (and probably crowns) with every suspicious tooth. It will lower the risk of complications. Alternatively, if you are willing to take the rist, try to avoid root canal treatments, only have deep fillings. The risk here is getting a tooth ache. If you prefer the deep fillings options, you should ask the dentist what will happen in case of a tooth ache, is there an emergency service, and also ask whether the deep filling can be deducted from the second treatment.

Hi Sara. I have/had a bad phobia of the dentist and went for the first time in 16 years a few months ago. My dentist told me I had 4 new cavities and 3 that needed to be refilled. He wasn’t able to see exactly how deep they were until he started to fill. I ended up with three deep cavities, but he filled them all and said some people get lucky. And that if I can make it 18 months, the filling is likely to not cause issue.

I had my last one filled in October. 2 out of 3 I’ve had no issue with. Knock on wood. 1 (the one he said he put medicine on to calm the nerve) developed sensitivity to cold after a month. I started a sensitivity toothpaste which has calmed it back down. It may need a root canal someday but for now, it’s okay.

Everyone is different but I hope my story helps some!

As far as what to expect for a filling, I was really nervous because I had never had a numbing shot, but after 7 fillings, you become a pro. You feel the pinch more on top teeth than the bottom (at least for me), but it wasn’t bad. Only once did he go too fast and I felt a burning sensation. It was unpleasant but not intolerable. And it went away after a few seconds. After I was numb, I felt nothing. Just some water in the mouth and a bit of pressure. I had four done in one sitting and it only took about 30 minutes from the time I walked in until the time I walked out.

Hang in there. We’re all here for you!

:grouphug:

Sara13697

I"m impressed by your courage to press on and go get these fillings done despite putting it off and despite your anxiety.. The what ifs are the worst of anxiety and once you go , you will be reassured if they are just fillings.. ad you can discuss all your anxieties with them. I love @Dr. Daniel 's video on the uncertainty..

How did your appointment go?

thanks for your story, i need to get one filling done at the end of the month, found out yesterday and that really made me mad/upset as i was only supposed to get a cleaning but they decided to do xrays as it had been a year so i wasn't prepared for bad news (also found out i have enamel erosion but it's mild and not causing issues so at least i can ignore that and just drink less acid/use a straw). I hate the dental dam so dreading that and it doesn't help as my dentist is slow doing fillings, like well over 1/2 hour to do one tiny filling which i think is way too long (plus on the xrays they look messy but i guess that is okay), i mean it's small, how long should it take? so i'm in the chair for at least an hour for one filling which is way too long in my opinion, soo maddening, knowing i am anxious you'd think she'd get it done asap so i am out of there. now i have to deal with covid issues, i am dreading it but want it over and done with, just going to let her know i'm not happy and to make it as quick as she can so i am out of there.