• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling below gum line

S

scared2bthere

I had a filling done this afternoon. I am in pain.

The filling was on the back side of the tooth, number 4. It was below the gum line. The gums are red and raw in a small line where gums and tooth meet in the back where the filling was done and it looks a bit red and inflamed on the gums beside the tooth.

The pain is up to my cheek and ibuprophen isn't touching it.

What can I do for it and is this normal for this type of filling? I swear when I used to have Dental work done I came home with relief now it all seems to end up worse off unless I have the tooth removed.

PLease, please tell me the pain will get better.

What should I do? Saltwater? Orajel? Anything? :cry:

You could try the Orajel if the pain is coming from the gums. Sometimes with cavities under the gumline the area can be pretty tender afterwards. You might just have to give it some time, painkillers, and Orajel and see how it goes. If it doesn't improve, give the dentist a call to see what they might suggest.

I took more ibuprophen, used sensodyne toothpaste and then put orajel on before I went to bed. It was down to a dull roar and I got to sleep ok. I'm scared to death to eat or drink this morning because I don't want that pain back like it was.

I'm considering having all the remaining back uppers pulled out. There is this one on the right and three on the left. Three have fillings and one a root canal. Three are still giving me problems and frankly I can't stand the pain much longer.

Can a person have a partial still if they only have 4 teeth remaining? I would have my two front and my two canine teeth left.

Yes, a big partial with just the canines can work. If you lost either canine then you would be much better off with a complete denture than a partial. The 2 front teeth won't matter much either way.

Thank you Gordon, at this point my canine's look good. Is there something, anything I can do to keep them that way? I brush and floss and everything I can think to do. It's odd it's mostly my top teeth that went crappy. The bottoms I had one extracted long ago and they are all good but the wisdom teeth need extracted and one tooth with an old filling needs attention. The only teeth on top that didn't need work are my canines.

Still can't put pressure on this tooth. EEOUCH.

The tooth felt less painful for a couple of days and is now back to hurting again off and on. Last night it had me up at 3 AM.

I called the place my Dentist office told me to call, the one filling in for emergencies since my reg office has no Dentist in this week till Thursday I guess. I was told to give it a couple more days and swish warm salt water.

Really, how long is this supposed to hurt. I'm taking some classes and find it really distracting to be in pain. This coupled with the tooth on the other side that was filled a while back and still hurts is REALLY starting to make me hate life.

Well salt water isn't helping anything. It hurts worse after the swishies. It's killing me right now. The gum behind the tooth looks red still and the pain is up into my head and temple area. I've got work to do but I can't even think. I'm in more freaking pain than I was before the tooth was treated and it makes me MAD. What happened to the good old days when one went to the Dentist and felt BETTER for it? I've got one root canal and two fillings I have to "wait and see" and all the while my life sucks and I am in pain and I look like a freak cause I can't wear my partial, my teeth hurt too bad for it. :mad:

I'm sorry, all I can suggest is going to a dentist :(

Thank you Gordon, I just did today. I couldn't stand it any more and they were able to get me in to take a look. He did a tap test, an x-ray and said he believed it was dieing or dead and suggested a root canal. I opted for extraction and he said he could do it today. That was my last upper molar but I just can't mentally or financially put any hope in a root canal with the mess I've been having this year.

At least someone finally found out what's going on! So sorry to hear of everything that's been happening to you lately. Are you feeling alright now? :XXLhug:

HI Deb,
I'm still sore and trying to get the bleeding to stop but I am hopeful this will take care of some of the pain I have been having to deal with and thank God I don't have to wait out the up and coming three day weekend. I am really getting sick of having dental work redone!!

How are you doing?

God, I can only imagining how you're feeling at the moment! :XXLhug:

And I'm alright, I'm actually getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow so! :scared:

I've had two of my wisdom teeth extracted and I don't remember it being too bad really. Honestly this extraction today of this molar was faster and easier than the filling I had last week and so far (knock on wood) it's not too bad. I'll look for you tomorrow to see how you are doing if you post.

:hug2:

I've started a diary on here (Dear Dental Diary) so you can find a post in there, as long as I'm not too :drool:.

I hope it fix some pain problems you're having as well! :XXLhug:

Back