• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling Question for GORDON

P

Patti

Hi Gordon,

Six years ago my old dentist did a 'deep filling' and said she put 'medicine' in it before she placed the amalgum filling. I don't know what it was or why it was used?

During one of my last fillings with my new dentist, he was replacing the amalgum filling (mentioned above) with a composite filling. I know the routine of getting a filling by now, and after he filled it--but before he put that crazy glue smelling stuff on he asked his assistant for a couple of things that he put into the tooth. He never did this with my other fillings.

Could you tell me what this "medicine" is and why it is used?

Two things it's most likely to be, Ledermix paste, which is a sort of mixture of steroids and stuff that reliably calms a nerve down, or it might be a calcium hydroxide paste, which can calm down an irate nerve and promote some secondary dentine formation (makes the nerve lay down a thin barrier to protect itself further).

Calcium hydroxide... that's it! I heard him say that.
That stuff must work like a charm since my dentist 6 years ago used it, and my new dentist used it when he replaced the amalgam filling with composite.

Thank you for answering, Gordon. You're the best! ;)

Two things it's most likely to be, Ledermix paste, which is a sort of mixture of steroids and stuff that reliably calms a nerve down, or it might be a calcium hydroxide paste, which can calm down an irate nerve and promote some secondary dentine formation (makes the nerve lay down a thin barrier to protect itself further).

Back