• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fillings and Sensitivity HELP!

J

jwetsu

Ok, I really need someone to help me out. I suffer from anxiety and this is driving me crazy. This week will be three weeks since I had two composite fillings done (one on left back top and other on left back bottom). The bottom one is doing good, but the top one is a different story. Ever since I had it done, I've not been able to chew on that side. Whenever I bite down, even on soft foods, it hurts. I went back to the dentist and he checked my bite and had me chew on cotton balls and said everything looked great. That was little over a week ago. I'm so depressed over this. I feel like my tooth will never get better and I'll never be able to eat normally again! :cry:It's a little sensitive to cold, but not too bad. It doesn't hurt if I clench my teeth together. The only time it hurts is when I chew on it. Will this ever pass? Anyone else ever experienced this? Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm freaking out!

I'm no expert but I would expect some sensitivity after a filling, I had some last year but it soon passed. I'd give it another week and don't chew on that side, give it time to settle, I'd start use some sensitive toothpaste and if it's no better I'd go back to the dentist.

I'm no expert but I would expect some sensitivity after a filling, I had some last year but it soon passed. I'd give it another week and don't chew on that side, give it time to settle, I'd start use some sensitive toothpaste and if it's no better I'd go back to the dentist.

Thank you, Colin65! I've been using Sensodyne. I use it regularly. I'm hoping this is normal and will soon vanish. I'm going to give it one more week and then if it's not better, I'm calling my dentist! I know he's tired of hearing from me lol.

Was it a particularly deep cavity in the top tooth? I think the deeper the filling, the more likely you are to get sensitivity afterwards. I know as well that a lot of people say you get more sensitivity with composite fillings than with amalgam ones.

That said, the fact that it only hurts when you chew on it, it sounds like the fillings needs to be adjusted - maybe it is slightly too high or something like that? I think another possibility could be a crack or fracture in the tooth, but I'm not an expert!

I would recommend continuing with the sensodyne for now (did you know you can rub a little blob of it directly onto sensitive teeth for immediate relief? I think you're "allowed" to do that twice a day) but if things are no better after the weekend go back to the dentist and see what they think. Good luck, I hope it all settles down for you. x

Back