• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fillings. Is it supposed to hurt? :(

C

chwdt

I just got back from a very dreaded appointment. I had two cavities in my lower back molars. One very small and one medium. The dentist decided to go ahead and only do the medium one today because he didn’t want to numb my whole mouth.

I was afraid, but agreed. He kept insisting it would all be pain free. Yet, the injection for the numbing stuff definitely hurt, and I’m pretty sure something went wrong where he had to readjust it. I don’t know, I was trying very hard not to pay attention. It wasn’t fun, but it was bearable.

The dentist only waited a MINUTE before asking if I was completely numb. I say no, he gives another injection immediately. Then, again, waits barely a minute to ask if it’s numb.

I don’t know any better and feel it more this time, so I agree that it’s probably working. He wastes no time and starts, and once he starts drilling, I was trembling in pain and trying to make a sound to signal as much. He doesn’t relent and just keeps going, saying, “good job, you’re fine!” And at the end says “guess you were feeling that a bit, huh? I bet it hurt to chew there!” (No, it didn’t. It only hurt once you started drilling!!!!)

I got through it, but I swear, I didn’t even feel completely numb until half an hour past the appointment once I had left. I ended up canceling the next appointment because I just felt so helpless. I know my pain tolerance is low, but are you really supposed to be able to feel anything?? I thought it was just supposed to be pressure, but that was definitely not just pressure!! This feels like it just proved my phobia to be completely right :(

I just got back from a very dreaded appointment. I had two cavities in my lower back molars. One very small and one medium. The dentist decided to go ahead and only do the medium one today because he didn’t want to numb my whole mouth.

I was afraid, but agreed. He kept insisting it would all be pain free. Yet, the injection for the numbing stuff definitely hurt, and I’m pretty sure something went wrong where he had to readjust it. I don’t know, I was trying very hard not to pay attention. It wasn’t fun, but it was bearable.

The dentist only waited a MINUTE before asking if I was completely numb. I say no, he gives another injection immediately. Then, again, waits barely a minute to ask if it’s numb.

I don’t know any better and feel it more this time, so I agree that it’s probably working. He wastes no time and starts, and once he starts drilling, I was trembling in pain and trying to make a sound to signal as much. He doesn’t relent and just keeps going, saying, “good job, you’re fine!” And at the end says “guess you were feeling that a bit, huh? I bet it hurt to chew there!” (No, it didn’t. It only hurt once you started drilling!!!!)

I got through it, but I swear, I didn’t even feel completely numb until half an hour past the appointment once I had left. I ended up canceling the next appointment because I just felt so helpless. I know my pain tolerance is low, but are you really supposed to be able to feel anything?? I thought it was just supposed to be pressure, but that was definitely not just pressure!! This feels like it just proved my phobia to be completely right :(

You are definitely not supposed to feel anything besides pressure, water, and stuff. No pain. The injection can be a bit painful. My dentist always says little pitch and if he goes too fast, the numbing stuff can burn a bit, but it’s not too bad. I prefer lower injections to upper ones.

From my experience, the dentist always leaves the room and does work on another patient before attempting to start. Last time, I waited 6-7 minutes before he started and by then, my lip, half my tongue, and cheek were numb.

I’m very surprised he kept going after your reaction. My dentist and I agreed that if I raise my hand, we can stop. I’ve never been and pain or raised it but I thought about it last time when the assistant was not sucking up the water/saliva as quick as I would like!

Did you choose this dentist or is it a family one? I would definitely look at finding a new one. What happened definitely doesn’t sound normal to me and it’s what causes people’s phobias.

You are definitely not supposed to feel anything besides pressure, water, and stuff. No pain. The injection can be a bit painful. My dentist always says little pitch and if he goes too fast, the numbing stuff can burn a bit, but it’s not too bad. I prefer lower injections to upper ones.

From my experience, the dentist always leaves the room and does work on another patient before attempting to start. Last time, I waited 6-7 minutes before he started and by then, my lip, half my tongue, and cheek were numb.

I’m very surprised he kept going after your reaction. My dentist and I agreed that if I raise my hand, we can stop. I’ve never been and pain or raised it but I thought about it last time when the assistant was not sucking up the water/saliva as quick as I would like!

Did you choose this dentist or is it a family one? I would definitely look at finding a new one. What happened definitely doesn’t sound normal to me and it’s what causes people’s phobias.
It’s a family dentist. My parents haven’t had much of an issue with him, but I don’t think I’d ever go back after this. Especially when he kept telling me the cavity wasn’t that big of a deal, for that amount of pain!

Thank you for the answer, I had a feeling it was really weird how fast everything happened. Definitely searching for a more patient one now....

It’s a family dentist. My parents haven’t had much of an issue with him, but I don’t think I’d ever go back after this. Especially when he kept telling me the cavity wasn’t that big of a deal, for that amount of pain!

Thank you for the answer, I had a feeling it was really weird how fast everything happened. Definitely searching for a more patient one now....

I went to my family dentist until I had three fillings filled at 14 and it was a horrible experience. I didn’t start going back to the dentist for 16 years after that. Definitely look around and find someone who makes you comfortable and will stop when you’re in pain.

No, it is not supposed to hurt. I have never had them start work immediately. It has always been about ten to fifteen minutes after the injections. The injection always hurts for me. The work does not. I have had pain a few times, as the numbness always wears off quickly for me. My dentist stops and gives me another shot then waits a bit before continuing.
Definitely find a dentist that will be patient with you! It should not be that scary.

I am so sorry you had this experience! No fillings should not be painful and with the right techniques, injections can be painless too. The drilling should only feel like vibration at the most. My dentist always sets a timer for 5 minutes after she injects to give the local time to set in and if I’m still not feeling completely numb she will top me off and wait another 5 minutes or until I give her the go ahead to start. You were right to cancel your next appointment. Find somebody else! It angers me that this dentist ignored your signs of pain and distress. If he mentioned it at the end, he clearly noticed that you were feeling it. Completely unacceptable! Was this by chance a bottom tooth? Bottom teeth can be trickier to numb for some people, that’s why I ask.

I am so sorry you had this experience! No fillings should not be painful and with the right techniques, injections can be painless too. The drilling should only feel like vibration at the most. My dentist always sets a timer for 5 minutes after she injects to give the local time to set in and if I’m still not feeling completely numb she will top me off and wait another 5 minutes or until I give her the go ahead to start. You were right to cancel your next appointment. Find somebody else! It angers me that this dentist ignored your signs of pain and distress. If he mentioned it at the end, he clearly noticed that you were feeling it. Completely unacceptable! Was this by chance a bottom tooth? Bottom teeth can be trickier to numb for some people, that’s why I ask.

Yes, it was a bottom molar, farthest back. I do think if he'd waited longer it would have been much better...I was too petrified to even say I thought it was too soon when he started. I thought it was pretty cruel that he didn't stop, so I'm both glad and upset to know that that's not normal :(
The worst part is knowing this has reinforced my fear for the other cavity, and I know I can't wait and put that one off either...I'm really kicking myself for every letting myself get cavities at all!!!

chwdt,

Just wanted to say hello and I'm really sorry for what you went through. as @kitkat said, that is not ok they didn't stop when you gave the stop signal and were probably very clearly showing the body language that this was not right to continue. I'm glad that you came on here and shared and are talking about it and knowing it really is not ok or normal . There are so many dentists who will care for you in a gentle, kind ,compassionate way! You do not have to go through this again! Glad you cancelled and will seek out a more anxious friendly kind dentist!

I can tell you I've had so many different invasive procedures with my dentist and didn't feel a thing. He always checks to make sure I'm numb and if I raise my hand or really give the slightest winch or indication he is on it and will make sure I'm not feeling anything. This is what I hope for your next visit someone kind patient and gentle! :grouphug:

chwdt,

Just wanted to say hello and I'm really sorry for what you went through. as @kitkat said, that is not ok they didn't stop when you gave the stop signal and were probably very clearly showing the body language that this was not right to continue. I'm glad that you came on here and shared and are talking about it and knowing it really is not ok or normal . There are so many dentists who will care for you in a gentle, kind ,compassionate way! You do not have to go through this again! Glad you cancelled and will seek out a more anxious friendly kind dentist!

I can tell you I've had so many different invasive procedures with my dentist and didn't feel a thing. He always checks to make sure I'm numb and if I raise my hand or really give the slightest winch or indication he is on it and will make sure I'm not feeling anything. This is what I hope for your next visit someone kind patient and gentle! :grouphug:

Thanks for the reply! I was so worried that it was just normal and I was being a wimp. I think I ruined their dentist chair because I was sweating so much o_O I am looking forward to finding one who will empathize!! I know many dentists are on a time schedule crunch because of covid...but I feel like no one should be rushing this much when pain is the alternative!

On a side note...a question for anyone, does anyone know if it's normal to have some weird feeling in your fillings a day later? Not really painful, just kind of uncomfortable...almost a cold feeling :confused:

Sensitivity is normal for a few days after a filling. Sometimes it can last for a couple of weeks. It should settle down with a little time.

Back