• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fillings on front teeth - how?

Judythecat

Judythecat

I had a couple of tiny white fillings placed on my upper front teeth about ten years ago, due to over-brushing where I had scrubbed away little patches of enamel which looked horrid. The edges are now a bit stained, heavy tea habit, and tomorrow I am having them replaced. I know they got in there, but am suddenly worrying how the dentist is going to get at them? When I open my mouth, my lip covers them. Will I need some sort of contraption/frame to keep my lip off my teeth? I am not scared of the process, which I have chosen to have for cosmetic reasons, I just want to be prepared! My dentist said the amount of tooth removed will be fractional, like sanding down a skirting board or door - there is no decay - and I also wondered if I am risking healthy teeth for cosmetic purposes? She would have said, right? I initially asked about veneers and was told a flat No Way given that the teeth are healthy, so she generally has a very conservative approach. I trust her 100%, just having a wee panic. Any advice or reassurance would be very welcome. Thanks for reading if you did.

The dentist just sort of folds the lip up out of the way with their free hand, it's something we do so unconsciously I had to actually think about how we do it!
These jobs are where magnification comes in very handy :)

It’s done! Actually after a thorough polish, with a firmer brush than usual, I only needed one done. I managed with no numbing, and my teeth look fantastic! The filling still feels a tiny bit rough, will that smooth off with brushing? She did polish it down.

Great result Judythecat. Sounds like you have an excellent, ethical and caring dentist.
You may find the slight roughness disappears in a few days, if not, I am sure your lovely dentist will be happy to do a bit more smoothing and polishing.

The filling still feels a tiny bit rough, will that smooth off with brushing?
It will get smoother with brushing and also chewing. Please brush gently.

Thank you both. I am really so lucky to have a great dentist, and also to be able to access a mix of private and NHS care with her based on want versus need - this was private treatment today, but I am an NHS patient. I need to go back and get casts done for a new mouthguard so if it is still rough then I can ask her to take a look. Hopefully it will smooth itself off though!

Back