• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally made a dentist appointment after 10 plus years -terried.

S

Springfairy556

I'm not terried of the pain anymore, I'm more terrified of what the dentist is gonna say about my teeth.My front tooth has a big gaping hole in it, I will admit as a kid I never brushed, this is my fault and no one else's, and the lack of dentist visits didn't help.

My fear is that my front tooth is too bad to save and will need pulling.:( I'm only 29 and I don't want to walk around with a missing front tooth.

A lot of my teeth are broken and in bad condition.I keep thinking of canceling the appointment, but then remind myself, if I don't go, then I will definately lose the front tooth.

I'm terrified.

There are options to fill gaps caused by extractions, other than implants. Bridges (which attach to teeth either side of a gap and have some fake teeth on them) and partial dentures both work well and will restore a smile.

It's scary to think of how bad it could be, but at least once you know exactly what's wrong, you'll also know what treatment you'll be getting, and that's a positive step forward!

Do tell the dentist how you're feeling. You shouldn't be shamed, you really don't deserve it. Phobia keeps many people away from the dentist. Explain that you're incredibly nervous, you know you'll need a lot of work, but you're here now because you really want to have a healthy mouth, and you would appreciate it if they would go easy on you and take it slow. Don't be afraid to speak up. If the dentist is rude or judgmental, you don't have to go back and can search for a nicer dentist.

Good luck! You can do this :)

Hi Spring fairy

Welcome, you are in like company!! The What ifs and worry is very draining for me , the ruminating thoughts sometimes.. Its so great you are getting it taken care of. I hope it is a fix they can help get your tooth looking great up front without having to pull. Hope they can save it and are compassinate about it too!! There is nothing worse than getting someone who is condescending and makes you feel worse than you already do. Please let us know how it goes!

There are options to fill gaps caused by extractions, other than implants. Bridges (which attach to teeth either side of a gap and have some fake teeth on them) and partial dentures both work well and will restore a smile.

It's scary to think of how bad it could be, but at least once you know exactly what's wrong, you'll also know what treatment you'll be getting, and that's a positive step forward!

Do tell the dentist how you're feeling. You shouldn't be shamed, you really don't deserve it. Phobia keeps many people away from the dentist. Explain that you're incredibly nervous, you know you'll need a lot of work, but you're here now because you really want to have a healthy mouth, and you would appreciate it if they would go easy on you and take it slow. Don't be afraid to speak up. If the dentist is rude or judgmental, you don't have to go back and can search for a nicer dentist.

Good luck! You can do this :)

I know for a fact, I'll need a root canal.I have 4 teeth on the side that broke off and are completely gone.One I broke eating a piece of chicken then it just decayed away.

Unfortunately, bridges may not work because the top left has no teeth left.though partials might be good.but I'm afraid of swallowing them lol.

Its really my front tooth that I'm scared of, the side is completely rotted, and so is the one next to it.I know implants and bridges are an option but my insurance won't cover that.

You definitely won't swallow partials if that's what you end up with. They're just not in a shape that lends itself to swallowing, and usually too big if they contain more than one tooth. :p You can also use adhesive to keep them firmly in place if it's something that worries you.

Back