• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally made first appointment

Wow.. This is all so great!! He sounds super sensitive to your needs and great he made it for smaller appt times to give your jaw rest and tried the bite block and that it worked. This is all such a great report.!! Great job going and doing this and really doing great !!! :you-rock::welldone::perfect:

Just finished the last two RCT! Turned out we (well, he) made such good progress last week that he was able to finish it today.

He said that's us done and next will be a check up in 6 months. But in the email from way back in the beginning when i asked them to confirm what I needed, it also says hygiene/perio treatment (deep clean), and I haven't had that. I'll email and ask them about that tomorrow. I presumed perio treatment meant I have gum disease, although they didn't actually tell me that. My bottom front teeth especially look like they have bad calculus.

I should be excited that this part is complete, but I have a bad headache (unrelated) right now. Maybe after a nap I'll be in a great mood!

Thanks everyone for the support this far, I wouldn't have got started without this website :thankyou:

Sorry for the late reply - belated congratulations :you-rock:

I can understand your frustration at not being offered a cleaning when it sounds as if it's clearly needed (the standard recommendation is for a professional cleaning every 6 months, even if there's no gum disease, as a preventive measure). Did you end up emailing them and asking what is happening?

I know it's expensive and perhaps not an option, but have you considered seeing a hygienist privately for cleanings? Someone else from Scotland mentioned having this done in the Ask a Dentist section.

Anyway - you're a real inspiration, well done :perfect:!!!

Just finished the last two RCT! Turned out we (well, he) made such good progress last week that he was able to finish it today.

He said that's us done and next will be a check up in 6 months. But in the email from way back in the beginning when i asked them to confirm what I needed, it also says hygiene/perio treatment (deep clean), and I haven't had that. I'll email and ask them about that tomorrow. I presumed perio treatment meant I have gum disease, although they didn't actually tell me that. My bottom front teeth especially look like they have bad calculus.

I should be excited that this part is complete, but I have a bad headache (unrelated) right now. Maybe after a nap I'll be in a great mood!

Thanks everyone for the support this far, I wouldn't have got started without this website :thankyou:

Well that’s very strange! Somehow I missed seeing this post altogether until just now! Anyway CONGRATULATIONS! You really have made so much progress in such a short time! :cheer::cheer2::cheer::cheer2::yay::bounces::respect:

As for the cleaning, I am not really sure how that works in the UK but it seems a bit different from how the US does things. I have read many people making completely separate appointments with hygienists only for cleanings where in the US, we see the dentist and hygienist in a single appointment for a cleaning and exam. I could be wrong about the separate appointments but that’s been my impression of things.

Sorry for the late reply - belated congratulations :you-rock:

I can understand your frustration at not being offered a cleaning when it sounds as if it's clearly needed (the standard recommendation is for a professional cleaning every 6 months, even if there's no gum disease, as a preventive measure). Did you end up emailing them and asking what is happening?

I know it's expensive and perhaps not an option, but have you considered seeing a hygienist privately for cleanings? Someone else from Scotland mentioned having this done in the Ask a Dentist section.

Anyway - you're a real inspiration, well done :perfect:!!!
:oops: I've been gone for so long, sorry! Apart from being busy, I think I needed to not think about anything dental for a while.

I did end up emailing them (quoting the email from the beginning about needing perio treatment), but didn't get a reply, then I was going away for a few weeks and never got round to/got the courage to try again.

Then a few weeks ago I got a text, a reminder to call to book the check up that is due. Since my treatment finished in May but my very first appointment was in December, I thought it was maybe just automatically sent based on when the treatment started and should have been 6 months.

But I finally emailed them yesterday (ignoring the "please call" part!) asking about it and mentioning the deep clean.

I got a reply today that it is actually a scale and polish that I'm due and could book an appointment with either the dentist or hygienist. I wasn't sure who would be best, maybe hygienist because that's what they do, but that would mean a new person and new nerves, when I'm already comfortable with the dentist. I just asked if either was available at the time that suited me and they've booked me in with the dentist next week. ?

Well that’s very strange! Somehow I missed seeing this post altogether until just now! Anyway CONGRATULATIONS! You really have made so much progress in such a short time! :cheer::cheer2::cheer::cheer2::yay::bounces::respect:

As for the cleaning, I am not really sure how that works in the UK but it seems a bit different from how the US does things. I have read many people making completely separate appointments with hygienists only for cleanings where in the US, we see the dentist and hygienist in a single appointment for a cleaning and exam. I could be wrong about the separate appointments but that’s been my impression of things.
Thank you! ?

I'm not sure how it works in the UK either since I was so neglectful for so long! But I have the appointment now and hopefully it means I don't have awful irreversible gum disease!

I was just thinking about you the other day and how I had not seen you around the forum lately. Welcome back! It seems like many members are in a similar situation right now (first cleanings with an established dental office). Yes sometimes a break is necessary from the forum to get your mind off the continuous cycle of dental thoughts. It is nice that you have the option to do the cleaning with the dentist who you already know and trust. Good luck not that you’ll need it. Cleanings are a breeze compared to root canals!

Really?? I'm not looking forward to it but that's good to know!

Definitely. I would take a cleaning any day over most things. No injections, no drills. Polishing is a 100% painless. They just use a special gritty toothpaste that removes staining with what is basically an electric toothbrush but the top of it is a soft rubber cup (not an actual brush). I sometimes get a little sensitivity around my gums during scaling but nothing unbearable (think 2-3 out of 10) and it’s only around certain teeth so it only lasts for a moment or two. Since you started with the hard stuff, this appointment will likely feel really easy!

Definitely. I would take a cleaning any day over most things. No injections, no drills. Polishing is a 100% painless. They just use a special gritty toothpaste that removes staining with what is basically an electric toothbrush but the top of it is a soft rubber cup (not an actual brush). I sometimes get a little sensitivity around my gums during scaling but nothing unbearable (think 2-3 out of 10) and it’s only around certain teeth so it only lasts for a moment or two. Since you started with the hard stuff, this appointment will likely feel really easy!
Thanks for putting me at ease!

I had my first ever cleaning yesterday, and I was so nervous and worried beforehand, but it was quite easy. Like kitkat said, if you started with the hard stuff, this should be easier for you. It wasn't uncomfortable at all, it was a little bit sensitive in a few areas for me but it only lasted for a few seconds. If your comfortable with your dentist as well, I'm sure you'll be in good hands.

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your appointment this week - as everyone else has already said, it should be a breeze after everything you have accomplished so far :grouphug:!!

Thinking of you REgina.. Hope it all goes well!

Thanks all. Going in soon. Bit nervous about what he'll say etc, but reminding myself that he's nice!

Hope you have a great visit and everyone treats you very gently and kindly! :)

He just examined me. Turns out he's recommended I make an appointment with the hygeniest instead so she can devote more time to getting my gums healthy. It's not for another few weeks so I'll still be avoiding mirrors for now!

Great to hear you made it there :)! The hygienist sounds like a good idea because they’ll have more time to spend with you and things won’t be so rushed. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will be really nice!!

I'm going today. Quite nervous, probably because it's a new person to get used to, and because of the lecture I may get (even if it's not actually a lecture, it'll feel like it to me!). But it needs to be done!

Good luck, Regina, may all go well. Let us know how it went! :clover: