• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally made first appointment

One more appointment done

It wasn't tooo bad. A little bit of pain at certain points, like twinges. The embarrassment was probably worse. She was nice and didn't say anything to make me feel guilty, but mentioned the tartar was stubborn because it was years of build up and that it'll probably take another two half hour appointments. She only did the bottom teeth today and showed me how I should be using the electric toothbrush (because it's been a long time she can't tell if I'm already doing it right ?), and gave me the little brush for in between.

My teeth feel really weird, like each tooth feels like its own separate one. Not sure if that makes sense but the years of neglect really were apparent. I won't let that happen again!

I just looked at the back of my front teeth. Can't believe the difference!

Well done :claps:!!! It's amazing isn't it? Don't worry about the weird separate feeling - it won't last very long ?. Glad to hear that your hygienist was nice and didn't make any negative comments! Congratulations:you-rock:

just read your entire thread- you are so inspiring!! Thats awesome your cleaning went well today and you can feel a noticeable difference too! :cheer2:

Well done :claps:!!! It's amazing isn't it? Don't worry about the weird separate feeling - it won't last very long ?. Glad to hear that your hygienist was nice and didn't make any negative comments! Congratulations:you-rock:
Thank you! Yes, and it's amazing to think that what I thought this time last year was badly decayed, rotting teeth that could all need extracted, was just tartar and could be so much better after half an hour!

She didn't make negative comments as such, although it was clearly worse than she expected and obvious I hadn't been to a dentist for years, whereas with the dentist himself it was more like he was working on an individual tooth at a time, and I could forget about the state of my mouth as a whole. But if she was disgusted, she certainly hid it well, and that's all that matters really!

just read your entire thread- you are so inspiring!! Thats awesome your cleaning went well today and you can feel a noticeable difference too! :cheer2:
Thank you so much, that must have taken ages to read! I did ramble a bit ?

I just realised, I had another cleaning appointment today and forgot to update here. I really think that's a sign that dental appointments are now becoming normal to me. I'm almost in shock! I wish I could tell myself all this a year or ten ago, but instead I'll tell anyone new reading this... Make the appointment if you can, it's so worth it!

I just realised, I had another cleaning appointment today and forgot to update here. I really think that's a sign that dental appointments are now becoming normal to me. I'm almost in shock! I wish I could tell myself all this a year or ten ago, but instead I'll tell anyone new reading this... Make the appointment if you can, it's so worth it!

That’s so great Regina! You have made remarkably fast progress with tackling your fears. Once you made up your mind there was no stopping you! Congrats on how far you have come!

Make the appointment if you can, it's so worth it!

I second this! ReginaPhalange, you’re doing amazing. I read through your journal and it’s amazing to see your progress. I love that appointments are becoming routine for you and I hope I get there really soon!

Also, I love your username. ?

Wow, that's been a whole year since I made my first appointment and posted here. It sounds like a long time but after so many years of not going and avoiding dentist discussions at all costs, I feel like I've come a long way in a fairly short time. If anyone is reading who is thinking about making an appointment, just think, this time next year you could be looking back at when you felt like that, or looking forward to a healthy new mouth... Either way, not feeling stuck. My only regret is definitely waiting so long.

Thank you all so much for the support. I wouldn't have made the appointment without it (even though I hadn't even joined DFC, I still benefitted from it). Sorry for not being on much any more ?

Last edited:
Wow I seriously cannot believe that it has been a whole year already! That went by so quickly!

Hello to anyone who remembers me!

I was doing well then kind of disappeared, sorry!

So I was at the stage where the main treatment had been done and was then getting scale and polish, without really having any nerves. Then covid happened so I just avoided thinking about teeth. I did get a text when the dentist was open again asking me to call to make an appointment for a check up. I must confess, for various reasons at the time, I ignored that. The idea made me nervous again, and I never did get into the habit of 6 month checkups like i hoped to.

A few days ago I had some pain, as well as a sore throat. I don't know if it could be a wisdom tooth coming through (I'm probably quite old for that!), or an infected wisdom tooth, but either way I'm sure I should see a dentist. I've had a cold with a sore throat for the last few days, but I can only presume it's all related since the pain is still there too (not excruciating but unpleasant).

My problem is that I haven't been to the dentist for a few years again. I was wondering if I should/could try and get an emergency appointment if there's infection. (I'm not sure how it all works and how bad the risks are if I leave it).
One concern is that since I ignored their text back then, maybe I have been taken off their patient list, and I've noticed on their website they're no longer taking on new NHS patients. So I would either have to pay for private or start all over again to find an NHS dentist (which I know is really hard to find right now).

My other concern is that according to their website my dentist has moved away!! He really put me at ease and I got to the stage of not being nervous at all. So even if I do go back to the same practice, I'll still have to start again with someone completely new, which is almost terrifying again.

Excuse the long essay and not being clear on what I'm even asking, I think I just needed to vent, and this was always a great place for that in the past!

Hi @ReginaPhalange, I certainly do remember you! Welcome back :)

I was wondering if I should/could try and get an emergency appointment if there's infection. (I'm not sure how it all works and how bad the risks are if I leave it).

In terms of risks, have a look at this FAQ:

However, if you're in a lot of pain, then of course do see an emergency dentist :)

I have no idea how long individual practices keep their NHS patients on their books, sorry! But I guess it's a very common situation that people are finding themselves in after the Covid years. You'd have to ring or email them to find out, I suppose...

If you are considering going private, we've got some great suggestions in Scotland (the pinned ones at the top have received multiple excellent reviews):

Or if you want to follow your previous dentist, you could do a Google search for him and see if he's moved to somewhere close by?

In terms of risks, have a look at this FAQ:
Thanks, after me saying in the other post that I'd read lots of FAQs. Oops!

I suppose I really should email them and ask. It won't do any harm. I'm just annoyed at myself not getting back into the habit of going when I had the chance. And now I'm risking having to start all over again finding a dentist I like and can afford.

I'll have a look at the private recommendations thanks. I'm just not sure if I could afford that, but I won't write it off just yet.

Or if you want to follow your previous dentist, you could do a Google search for him and see if he's moved to somewhere close by?
I did a Google search just out of curiosity and found out (from the practice's website) that he's left them to move country!

I know he wasn't the only nice dentist around and I'm sure lots of other nice ones can be found on the NHS too, so it's not hopeless like I felt it was at the beginning. I just have to find that courage that I used to have!

Thanks @letsconnect 😁

@ReginaPhalange hi I remember you also, I used to post around the same time and everyone on here helped me so much. I went to the dentist and had my teeth sorted, then covid hit and I never went back..until last week! My dentist had changed also and when I went in the room I cried like a baby 🤦‍♀️but the new dentist was so nice. I’ve got to have a lot done again and will lose some teeth😳but I feel better now I’ve made that first step..still anxious but she’s going to take things slow. Hope you find the strength to go cos I know how hard it is xx

@Sam44 That's a coincidence! Aww I'm glad you made it there again and that your new dentist is nice too.

I'm at the stage of roughly drafting an email with all my questions, half expecting them to say I can only stay with them if I go private and that it'll cost a small fortune. But if I don't ask I'll never find out so I'm sure I'll get it done eventually xx

Well I've sent a message with the form on their website. I tried to leave the phone number section blank but it wouldn't let me. Hopefully they'll email me and not call!

I'm not sure what the best case scenario is but I'm glad that part is out of the way again.

Appointment made for Monday. Those familiar old nerves are starting to come back again!

@ReginaPhalange well done .

I’m so scared of dental stuff .

Think I’ve got an infection but going too call 111 tomorrow as when I phone emergency dentist they don’t class what am telling them as an emergency.
Just reading through your thread I need to stop thinking I’ll die .
Just have some jaw in my pain
I have no one too talk too this site is great though for help .

@ReginaPhalange well done!! So you were still on their patient list? All the best for Monday 🤗