• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

finally overcome my fear!

S

sara1509

i have been scared of the dentist for years! ever since a filling that hurt. so scared that i would have a panic attack waiting in the car while my husband was in the dentist! for years i have avoided them, put up with agony in my mouth. a month ago another abcess reared its ugly head, i tried everything to avoid the dentist, crying at the doctor for antibiotics but to no avail. anyway my mum got me in to her dentist, i wasnt registered anywhere because i never kept appointments and was taken off the list. I went fully intending to take the prescription and never go back. i explained to him i was terrified and he assured me he would do nothing i didnt want him to do, he was brilliant with me, i left there with my prescription and a new appointment for a week later. he said first we would try a tooth cleaning to get me used to the sound a stuff again, he said it would take a minute or so but if i only lasted 10 seconds then that was still an achievement. i lasted the whole time!:jump: sounds silly but i was so proud of myself. a week later i was back, i needed a tooth out, retained roots removed from a tooth that had cracked away and 2 small fillings. He gave me the choice of what i wanted to do next i chose the tooth out and retained roots removal. before starting he told me i was his last patient to see that afternoon so he can take it as slow as i needed. did a pracitce run of everything even down to how i would have to put my head etc. he would work for a minute then stop to give me a breather then work for a minute then stop etc..... 10 minutes later they were all out! i felt like i had won the lottery!! i couldnt believe i had done it i was physically shaking going there didnt think i would do it. a week later i had the appointment for the 2 fillings, the things that frighten me the most. i had to cancel as i was ill and couldnt get another one for a month so when the time came i was more scared than i had ever been! I told him this but he just said your in control if you dont want to do it today we can do it another time, but i decided to go through with it, i was sweating, shaking, but did it!! :jump: so proud of myself...
This whole time all i needed was to find a dentist i could trust and was understanding of my fear and patient with me, which he is. i am finally not dreading the check up appointment in 5 months! no longer feel anxious about treatment. i will never like the dentist and will probably still be nervous but i know i can do it now!! there is hope :) shop around until you find one you can trust 100% thats half the battle won already then

Awesome job!! Congratulations on facing your fear :)

Back