• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finding a dentist with the widest options of orthodontistry

tootie

tootie

I'm 25 and live in the North West Outskirts of London, in Middlesex. I can't even tell you the last time I went to the dentist and my phobias include needles, injections, pain, plastic gloves, gagging, fainting...I have issues with the smell alone at the dentist, so I know I definitely need someone who can cope with nervous patients. I'm working the summer in Turkey and plan to try and get my teeth fixed when I come home with the pay. (unless anyone knows a great English dentist in South Turkey?!)

I've tried previously to get referrals through my doctor, but I hate talking about and showing my teeth so much that I clammed up and didn't really know how to explain the full extent of how bad I was (even though this was a doctor who had previously seen me pass out at just being told I should have blood taken...)

Over the last few years, I've been gearing myself up to getting my teeth fixed. I am a self employed performer and my teeth do majorly affect my confidence and have, ultimately, meant I have lost out on jobs. So I need to...ahem... bite the bullet and get them sorted.

I am pretty confident I wouldn't be able to cope with removable aligners as I don't like putting things back into my mouth; I can be chewing gum then suddenly gag on the thought of it, and sometimes have issues using my toothbrush, and I would never share my cutlery.

Originally, my plan was to have lingual braces, so that there would be no telling at all that I had braces fitted however I have recently realised that although they would be unseen, they wouldn't be un-heard as they'd take the longest to get used to, so now I'm back on the idea of clear/tooth coloured braces.

Ideally, I'd like to find a dentist who offers a number of options, but I'm struggling to find one, as the majority I find have a number of types of removable brace but limited options otherwise. I'm happy to travel, into central London, or into Hertfordshire or further afield (an hour or so journey out) and would be extremely grateful for any suggestions!

Hi and welcome to you

I don't have specifics of what you are looking for, but know a pretty good dentist in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, and although I don't know if he would be able to help you himself, he may know someone who could.

Lincoln is also a dentist on here that helps out, he is lovely, as is Jean his assistant.

He is at Beehive Dental surgery, Beehive Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire - telephone number 01707324562

Hope that helps.

Kim

Back