• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appointment in years. Feeling scared.

M

M4r13

Hi, I am new here so I am even nervous about writing this post. I have an appointment with a dentist this week. I can’t remember exactly the last time I was at the dentist, I think it was about 8 years ago. I was going quite regularly back then. But because I had a lot of teeth extracted, I’ve been scared to go back. I have a lot of missing teeth. I am going to the dentist because, after years of avoiding it, I want to do something about my teeth and the gaps. I’m not in any pain and I brush twice per day and use mouthwash but I don’t floss. I have a broken tooth which I am really worried about. I am so worried that she will tell me she has to remove more teeth or even all my teeth and that I have gum disease. I am worried that my mouth is beyond repair. I can’t remember the last time I was this scared about going anywhere. Sorry about rambling but I am very scared.

I have an appointment today in a few hours. My regular check up was cancelled due to covid and when I finally got the courage to reschedule they were booked out months. So now it’s been over a year since I was last at the dentist and I fear I will need a lot of work.

just letting you know I hear you. I’m in the same boat. I havehad two periods of my life where I stopped going to the dentist. One I stopped for like 12 years and When I went back no work needed to be done. The second time it was like 3-4 years or so. And I needed 10 cavities filled. I got through that. But I’m still scared.

you will be ok. It will be hard. But whatever needs to be done will eventually get done. I had the 10 cavities filled and it was fine. Why I can’t heed my own advice? I don’t know it’s like a primal fear

Back