• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First dentist visit in over 10 years

E

Em_98

Hi all,

I have my first appointment in over 10 years booked this evening, and I'm extremely anxious about it.

Some background, I'm in my late 20s and always suffered with dental fears after having to have quite a lot of work done as a child. (fillings, extraction, cleanings). I am an anxious person in general, not just with the dentist. As soon as I turned 18 and my mother stopped forcing me to go to the dentist, I haven't been since.

I know that I need a couple of small fillings, maybe one tooth which seems to have died taken out and my gums looked at as I have lots of pockets and I reckon quite bad gum disease. I also have what I suspect is stained build up (I drink a lot of cola, another thing to work on!) and so the plauqe build up appears to have a green tint, which makes me SO embarrassed I hide my smile.

The reason for booking the appointment, I've had a lump appear along my jaw line that I fear is a currently painless abscess. There was tooth pain when it arrived and sensitivity in my teeth if I press on it.

This lump has prompted me to register with a new dentist and arrange an appointment as I know abscesses left untreated is not a good idea.

I'm feeling extremely nervous that I will get upset and be teary in my appointment. I also always hated the explorer tool and just thinking about it makes my body recoil. I'm also so frightened that due to the state of my gums and quite a lot of plaque build up that they'll need to pull teeth. Though none are loose, no tenderness when I eat and no sensitivity to hot or cold food or drink, so I guess that's a good sign??

Anyway, appointment is in about 6 hours and any reassurance would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hi Em_98 and thanks for joining :welcome:!

I'm also so frightened that due to the state of my gums and quite a lot of plaque build up that they'll need to pull teeth. Though none are loose, no tenderness when I eat and no sensitivity to hot or cold food or drink, so I guess that's a good sign??

It does sound good, and you may be amazed what a difference a cleaning can make ?. Don't worry too much about getting upset and teary - it happens all the time, and any dentist who is used to helping nervous patients will be compassionate and willing to help. It's really important to let them know how anxious you feel, so they are aware that they should treat you with kids' gloves. If you like, we've got a form in our Downloads section which you can print out and hand to your potential dentist:

I also always hated the explorer tool and just thinking about it makes my body recoil.

Again, do let your dentist know how you feel about the explorer, so they can use it very gently (if at all).

Wishing you all the best for your appointment tonight ??. Please keep us updated!

Hi @Em_98, how did it go? Hope you’re ok ?

Hi letsconnect,

It went reasonably well!

In terms of nerves and anxiety, I was practically fine! No more nervous and uncomfortable than the average person when going for a check up. So that felt great! My dentist was lovely and really understanding. Took things slow and kept reminding me I was in control and they would listen to me throughout.

In terms of the outcome, not too bad considering it is around 13 years since my last visit and my dental hygiene has not always been great. I unfortunately need a premolar extracted, and they think a crown will not be possible so I am looking at an implant. I also need a deep clean, which was to be expected, and there is some minor gum disease. Again, to be expected after such a long time.

But I was really anticipating a few fillings, one or two extractions, my gums to be terrible etc etc, so all in all, I'm feeling quite positive!!

I've been lurking through so many threads here and they've been such a great help in keeping my nerves down.

Woohoo - congratulations :welldone::you-rock:

Brilliant to hear that you found such a lovely dentist - they sound like a gem :cloud9:. That really is sooo important. Pity about the premolar ? - though on the positive side, dentistry has come a long way and not so many years ago, an implant wouldn't even have been a possibility. So I suppose every cloud has a silver lining ?.

Thanks so much for letting us know how it went and do keep us updated!!

Back