• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Extraction Successful (and way less scary than I thought!)

darlingdiva26

darlingdiva26

My name is Heather and I'm 26 years old. I had my first tooth removal yesterday and I feel great!

Bad teeth run in my family (my mother and maternal grandmother both got dentures before 50) so I knew the dentist would end up being my 'friend'... til I saw him when I was 16. I had a bad experience with the particular dentist, not the procedures or anything. He was very snarky and poked fun at his patients. There goes my happy dental experience.

About a month ago, I was at work eating a donut and 1/4 of my molar came off in the donut (I knooow I shouldn't have ate that donut!!). I was fine for about a week then the pain started setting in. I then got the courage to set up a appt with a local dentist because I knew the pain was just going to get worse. I coudn't get in for about 3 weeks. I dealt with it for about a week then couldn't take it anymore. The pain was going down my jaw up into my right ear. I felt as though not only did I have a toothache I also had an ear infection. Awesome! Well I ended up going to ER and they prescribed me some pain-killers and a very strong antibiotic. I was still two weeks out from seeing the dentist so I bore the pain, but the antibiotics and pain-killers seemed to help deaden the pain for the most part.

I went yesterday with MAJOR fear to the dentist. Even took my mother with me (I'm such a wimp) because I was terrified. I get there, fill out paperwork and then get told she has to stay in the waiting room... (heart attack pending in 3... 2... 1)... I mosey on back to the exam room, get seated and the nurse takes an x-ray to see where the tooth broke off at.. she says it was a clean break so thats good. The dentist comes in and says its a typical tooth extraction, numbs my mouth and starts pulling. Within 15 minutes my tooth is out :)

I don't know why I was so scared to get my tooth pulled. But I had a good experience (so far that is) and just playing the waiting game on the tooth to heal :)

Thank you for taking the time to write your success story I am glad that it went well for you.

Happy healing :jump::jump::jump:

My name is Heather and I'm 26 years old. I had my first tooth removal yesterday and I feel great!

Bad teeth run in my family (my mother and maternal grandmother both got dentures before 50) so I knew the dentist would end up being my 'friend'... til I saw him when I was 16. I had a bad experience with the particular dentist, not the procedures or anything. He was very snarky and poked fun at his patients. There goes my happy dental experience.

About a month ago, I was at work eating a donut and 1/4 of my molar came off in the donut (I knooow I shouldn't have ate that donut!!). I was fine for about a week then the pain started setting in. I then got the courage to set up a appt with a local dentist because I knew the pain was just going to get worse. I coudn't get in for about 3 weeks. I dealt with it for about a week then couldn't take it anymore. The pain was going down my jaw up into my right ear. I felt as though not only did I have a toothache I also had an ear infection. Awesome! Well I ended up going to ER and they prescribed me some pain-killers and a very strong antibiotic. I was still two weeks out from seeing the dentist so I bore the pain, but the antibiotics and pain-killers seemed to help deaden the pain for the most part.

I went yesterday with MAJOR fear to the dentist. Even took my mother with me (I'm such a wimp) because I was terrified. I get there, fill out paperwork and then get told she has to stay in the waiting room... (heart attack pending in 3... 2... 1)... I mosey on back to the exam room, get seated and the nurse takes an x-ray to see where the tooth broke off at.. she says it was a clean break so thats good. The dentist comes in and says its a typical tooth extraction, numbs my mouth and starts pulling. Within 15 minutes my tooth is out :)

I don't know why I was so scared to get my tooth pulled. But I had a good experience (so far that is) and just playing the waiting game on the tooth to heal :)
Hi heather..did it hurt after your mouth was numbed etc?..is it really that bad!?..I might have to have the same treatment n im petrified!-even of needles!.lol:(.

aw i know what u mean! bad teeth run in my family to, only from my dads side! im one of 4 and everyone else took after mums side :( its so rubbish! so i feel ur pain
i had my first extraction last week and it really wasnt that bad.. the thought was way worse than the pain! Also to anyone who is having one its not as bad as you think, i though they literally pulled the tooth, but they slowly and firmly move it side to side, u feel pressure not pain!
all the best :)

Back