• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First root canal today...sigh..just venting.

F

findingthesun

My mouth is a mess. I've gotten work done in the past but honestly I would always start flaking out because I hate needles and all that work was just too too much for me and became overwhelming...so back to ignoring it I went. :cry:

I have been through extractions before. My last molar on my right top side broke some time ago, and I ignored ignored ignored, until of course it began to hurt. Fearful of abscess, I finally gave in and went to a new dentist (as I have moved since I last went to one). She agreed the tooth could be saved, and she was glad I came in (I told her my dealie) and that we'd work on getting my mouth fixed together. Very comforting, at least.

But now it's the day of and I am just a mess. I've been laying here doing nothing because I feel sick to my stomach (my anxiety basically goes right to my stomach when I am stressed) and just awful. I am worried about the much longer time spent in the chair (up to 45 mins she said), because I hate feeling trapped, it just amps up my anxiety so much more.

I wish I had an earlier appointment, because waiting until 4pm is a killer. My father said if I survived extractions (I have), root canals are going to be a walk in the park, but you know how 'wonderful' new dental experiences are. I just wish I could magically undo the damage done by my phobia...it is so frustrating to know this is just the start.

Hi, I just wanted to reassure you that root canal treatment is no worse than getting a filling, except it takes a longer time. I've had a few done and never felt any pain during the appointment.
Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

Hi, I just wanted to reassure you that root canal treatment is no worse than getting a filling, except it takes a longer time. I've had a few done and never felt any pain during the appointment.
Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

Thank you for replying it really helped to read it in the dentist waiting room! I am out and my mouth is not numb anymore and it just aches a bit. I didn't realize what a big production it is (seems like I'll be needing 4 visits for the entire root canal + crown making process), but my dentist assured me today would be the worst and the rest should be much easier.

She was very cool about not giving me the shot with epinephrine too (which gives me heart palps)...I was worried about asking, it's hard to open your mouth sometimes when you're nervous.

The next step is in two weeks. For now it's lots of being careful not to pull out the temp filling (though she assured me if it does happen it can just be put in a new one real quick no problem).

My dad was right...this is much better than post-extraction!

I'm glad it went well for you.