• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First timer - need support & encouragement

S

sass

I finally took the first step after years of not seeing a dentist, except in an emergency situation. The dentist set me up a treatment plan and my first procedure is on Thursday. I am having 5 teeth extracted. The dentist has prescribed Halcion that I am to take 2 of an hour before my appointment. He is also going to give me gas (N20). As the day gets closer, my anxiety is getting the best of me. Can anyone tell me what to expect? What the pain factor will be with this type of sedation? How aware of everything will I be? Any support or information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Sass and :welcome: to our group! I realize you're feeling anxious and you aren't alone. We'll be here to give you encouragement as Thursday draws closer and I'm sure there will be others who can give you additional information. I'll try to answer what I can:

Halcion, I have not had experience with but a few friends have had it and told me they were "in and out" and vaguely aware but had no real memories of anything that happened.

Nitrous I have had in the past and it was great. I went in with butterflies and knots in my stomach and after a few minutes of nitrous I felt giggly and calm. There are some who don't like the way it makes them feel but if that is the case you can just tell them you don't want it. The important thing with nitrous is to breath through your nose. Sounds silly but when you have your mouth open it can be easy to forget, especially if you are a "mouth breather."

In regards to the pain, you will be given a local in addition to the Halcion and Nitrous, those are used mainly for your anxiety and not pain control. The important thing is to tell your dentist (with hand signals, if necessary) if you feel discomfort. They will be able to give you more numbing medication to make sure that you feel no pain.

You may want to read some of the posts and success stories. There are a lot of members who have had multiple extractions, some with local only. You can do this and by this time next week you will be so pleased with yourself for getting through it!

Best wishes for a great appt!!!!
:cheers:
Pam

I finally took the first step after years of not seeing a dentist, except in an emergency situation. The dentist set me up a treatment plan and my first procedure is on Thursday. I am having 5 teeth extracted. The dentist has prescribed Halcion that I am to take 2 of an hour before my appointment. He is also going to give me gas (N20). As the day gets closer, my anxiety is getting the best of me. Can anyone tell me what to expect? What the pain factor will be with this type of sedation? How aware of everything will I be? Any support or information would be appreciated. Thank you.

With my experience with N20, it's awesome. It's really really relaxing, and you feel kind of happy and stoned. So you'll probably be really surprised at how chilled out you are. However, I'm not someone who has had any reactions to sedative drugs. So if you are more sensitive to something like that I don't really know what to say. For me it's been a real blessing.

Good luck with everything . . . I hope all goes well for you! :party: I have never had any experience with N20 - although, from what I am reading in here, I would like to try it sometime. I want to feel "giggly" and "stoned" ! ! ! :hic:
:cheers: BEST WISHES FROM ALBERTA, CANADA

Nitrous really helps relax me...:cloud9: Its a great feeling. I agree with Yoshi about it being a blessing.