• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Food getting trapped between teeth like meat etc

  • Thread starter Thread starter hammyhamster
  • Start date Start date
H

hammyhamster

Junior member
Joined
Feb 26, 2013
Messages
8
Location
UK
Hello

I have a anxiety about eating meat (which I like) and other foods because it gets trapped between my teeth. I know I can floss but I have real trouble doing that as my teeth are close together and I do not like flossing. I have tried dental picks etc. I was told that if you get something like food or meat trapped between your teeth that it either works its way out as you are brushing your teeth or that your mouth saliva dissolves it over a day or two. Is this correct please and can I avoid flossing if this happens.

Thank you kindly in advance for your advice.

Hammy :)
 
Certainly most food debris will brush out, especially if you're diligent with the brushing. Things like beef and lamb can take a while to shift though. I personally have a couple of slightly larger gaps in which chunks of meat sometimes get well and truly jammed, I actually prefer to floss in that case as I get pain if I don't. The edge of a business card sometimes works just as well though !

Remember, the human race managed fairly well before dental floss ever appeared on the scene !
 
Thank you for your reply :)

Yes you are correct mankind have done ok without floss :)

I personally am not a big fan of flossing and my brother never flosses and his teeth are ok. He also says that any meat that gets trapped does in time remove itself if you brush your teeth and that it does work its way out.

I just wanted some confirmation and reassurance that is all :)

Again thanks for your reply :)

Hammy
 
Back
Top