• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I cant enjoy food anymore.

H

Hayfeild

Junior member
Joined
Nov 19, 2025
Messages
2
Location
Canada
I went to the dentist recently and found out I need 2 fillings. And I have 7 small developing cavities. I am absolutely horrified of the dentist and needles. I was told that I really couldn’t snack anymore or have drinks. Seriously the dentist told me to stop drinking milk. I have a very tight schedule so it’s hard to find times to eat a full meal. But now every time I have a snack or just food I can’t help but think about how I’m messing my teeth up. I just want to be able to eat food happy again. I’m genuinely scared to eat now. The dentist even said when I sleep on my side my saliva goes to one side of my face and that’s why I have more developing cavities there. At this point what can I do because now I can’t eat or sleep comfortably.
 
Hi @Hayfeild, I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time with your dentist! It sounds like they're trying to scare you into changing your diet, perhaps with good intentions, but their advice seems so over the top that it wouldn't be at all practical to follow for ordinary human beings!

The key to avoiding cavities is to leave enough time (3.5 to 4 hours) in between "acid attacks" to allow teeth to remineralise. There's lots of info on this page:




The dentist even said when I sleep on my side my saliva goes to one side of my face and that’s why I have more developing cavities there.

Errr... perhaps they should go back to dental school? Saliva flow protects against cavities, rather than causing them (and as an aside, during sleep, we produce less saliva).

How do you feel about this dentist more generally? Did you find them supportive and caring otherwise (apart from the scare tactics)?
 
Honestly I think she’s making stuff up at this point. I’m not a dentist but I saw my x-rays and she showed me the developing cavities but nobody mentioned the “2” fillings that needed to be done until I was about to leave. She also just told the assistant to send in a referral for my wisdom teeth to be removed in the next 4 months (they are about to come in) but I stopped her and asked if they were going to grow in okay and she said yes? So I asked why I would remove them and she said so I don’t have to do anything when I’m older. Why would I go through a medical procedure if everything is fine? I feel like she’s either making stuff up or wants my family to spend money.
 
In that case I would get a second opinion. There's lots of tips for finding a dentist here:




 
Back
Top