• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Food stuck in extraction hole

S

Sandra257

It's been five days since my lower 1st molar's extraction, and I'm starting to freak out because I've been super careful not to get any food on the extraction. I got a bit confident that I can eat noodles now, and I'm regretting it because now there's a small piece of noodle stuck in the hole and I've been trying to move water around in my mouth to remove it but it's not working. I don't want to rinse because I'm scared something might happen and I really don't want to have to go to the dentist. I don't know if it's because I'm kind of panicking about it that it feels really weird or it is starting to feel weird because of the noodle. Help. T^T

You're passed the period of dry socket. It's okay to rinse your mouth with water at this stage. Try using warm salt water. Everybody who has ever gone through extractions has been likely to get food impact in the socket. Sometimes a dentist gives you a plastic syringes for this reason.

Hi Sandra257, please do not panic. In the practice I used to work we told people after wisdom teeth extraction not to worry about any food, the body would find a way to deal with it if something gets stuck. I am sure any bits of food will find their way out.

I would not worry. When I went to my wisdom tooth extraction follow up appointment they took out the last of the remaining stitches and then cleaned out each area with a syringe that sprayed water and all kinds of debris came out. They gave me a syringe to take home and I had to use it to flush food particles for what seems like a couple of weeks as things healed up.

Back