• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

For anyone scared of Extractions & Dentures or Implants - this might help you like it did me?

bugs25

bugs25

For anyone scared of Extractions & Dentures or Implants - this might help you like it did me?

Hi Guys

So im getting my extractions done in 4 days, and an immediate denture.

Im petrified. Im scared of the procedure, im scared of the darn chair i need to sit in, im scared of the IV sedation, im scared of the Drs, im scared of what ill look like after, im scared how im going to eat, im scared of the pain...oh dear, looks like im just one big fat ball of "scared"! :cry:

Reason im posting this up, is that i have found something that has kind of eased my mind a tad. I spent all day (literally) yesterday watching YouTube clips...one particular channel actually - "kalinjax".

If you are going through extractions, dentures and/or implants, i highly recommend you take a look at her video's....its amazingly calmed me down, to know there are others of a young age that have always had issues and are finally doing something about it. Its confronting, but in a comforting way, and i think its great that someone has the courage to document what they're facing when so many of us are ashamed... She gives you a realistic idea on what to expect (cause sometimes the Dr's dont tell you everything), tips on cleaning, eating etc...

I am in Melbourne VIC (Australia) - i don't know this person but if i ever did meet her i would sincerely thank her for helping me through this difficult time of mine.:grin:

Re: For anyone scared of Extractions & Dentures or Implants - this might help you like it did me?

I watched you tube for DAYS... there are a lot that are very helpful, I just kept searching for new ones.
Yesterday I had my extractions, bone graft and immediate denture and one implant in the left lower, the only side not needing a bone graft. Not too much pain the swelling is whats getting to me, my face feels huge and very "tight" the denture doesn't hurt, but it feels HUGE...

I had 9 extractions up top (all remaining teeth up there) and one lower tooth that had broken. My 9 up top went from the left corner of my mouth around to the right, so there was NOTHING on the left side, and now suddenly its FULL of teeth. I can speak ok, a slight weird lisp, but people can understand me.

I had IV sedation, and it wasn't bad, not half as bad as I imagined. My morning getting there was very stressful, I'm glad I had my husband, but once I got to the dentist office, and in the chair I felt better, everyone was super nice. The doctor was chatting about his little girl, and having to sing her to sleep each night - I remember saying something about childrens books I had to read over and over for my kids, and BAM that was it... I "think" I remember a nasal cannula being put on and a pulse oximeter on my finger, I think I took it off my finger, because I remember it going back on..
I don't remember any of the procedure itself, I remember waking up with the denture in place, and it being uncomfortable, pushing up inside my upper lip.... the nurse/assistant told me to take it out and she would make a quick adjustment, and she did, and next thing I was in the car with my husband, having a drink of water....
IV sedation is totally the way to go!

Re: For anyone scared of Extractions & Dentures or Implants - this might help you like it did me?

Wildsky, i should really thank you too. It was you that gave me the idea to go on YouTube. Id never really thought to look there cause i honestly didnt yhink anyone would post about it.

Great to hear your story, so happy it went so well for you and hoping its the same for me!

Back