• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

From a dental assistant

Well said Adia...you will make a great DA I'm sure.

You give me hope Adia! I also couldn't believe the jar of problem patients. When you have enough problem patients to warrant a jar, then you better look at what you are doing. I'm a teacher and if I teach a lesson and many of my students don't understand it, I have to re evaluate how I'm teaching it. I don't, for one second, assume that it is the fault of all my students... rather, it is a clear indication to me that I need a new approach.

I think that your fears will make you all the better in your career (although I wish you speedy success in over coming them!!). Empathy is something I find lacking in many health care fields these days. Medical professionals are often taught the science and not taught the human component of what they do. Kudo's to your instructor for showing off her patient skills to a whole class.

:grouphug:
Thank you. It's going to be a very stressful two weeks transitioning from the classroom/lab to the dental office.

Cheers!
Adia

One more before I leave on quoting marina, 'take care of all the issues that you have, and brush and floss the hell out of your teeth so it limits your visits back to the dentists.'

No assistant, no matter how green I am, would tell you to brush the hell out of your teeth.

Yeah It's true I'm afraid...I have some gum recession caused by too much brushing when I wore braces many years ago and possibly also doing it too hard!

I currently use an electric toothbrush but over the years have been given very conflicting advice about what type is best for my situation and have switched from electric to manual several times.

No danger of my kids overbrushing though! (not yet anyway).

My hubby had his first dental visit in 10 years or so, lucky non phobic he is, only has one cavity and needs the obvious clean (makes me sick!!) However he has been told he has been brushing his teeth to hard and the gums are receeding above his front teeth.

That's pretty amazing! :rolleyes:
Makes me jealous!

Adia

Back