• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Frustrated with my teeth.

A

Ames235

I had gotten a root canal and crown on the top left 5 weeks ago and all was well until 2 weeks ago. It started getting major sensitivity to hot/cold, so my dentist said he didn't find anything wrong with it but gave me a referral to my endodontist. My endodontist said he didn't find anything wrong with the tooth either, but noticed the bottom tooth under it that the nerve was irritated. So I got another root canal, and a temp crown on the same day this past Thursday. I thought that would fix the problem on the tooth on top, but no. Still super sensitive to hot/cold. I only had one moment of random lingering pain last night, and the hot/cold lasted longer than it had (It would only be a few seconds normally).

Then today I got a bite adjustment, which helped but I told the dental hygienist about that tooth and she didn't seem concerned. So I don't know what I should do. I think it's still too early to tell if the RCT failed, and my endo did the cold test on my teeth in the back... but nothing, even on the top when I went last week.

I'm miserable because I don't know if I have an abscess, or something else wrong and I don't even know what to do.

When I had a crown put on a tooth it had cold sensitivity for a little over a week when I didn't have it before (tooth did not have a root canal though). The sensitivity went away on its own. Try not to test your tooth too much and let it have some more time to adjust.

I had gotten a root canal and crown on the top left 5 weeks ago and all was well until 2 weeks ago. It started getting major sensitivity to hot/cold, so my dentist said he didn't find anything wrong with it but gave me a referral to my endodontist. My endodontist said he didn't find anything wrong with the tooth either, but noticed the bottom tooth under it that the nerve was irritated. So I got another root canal, and a temp crown on the same day this past Thursday. I thought that would fix the problem on the tooth on top, but no. Still super sensitive to hot/cold. I only had one moment of random lingering pain last night, and the hot/cold lasted longer than it had (It would only be a few seconds normally).

Then today I got a bite adjustment, which helped but I told the dental hygienist about that tooth and she didn't seem concerned. So I don't know what I should do. I think it's still too early to tell if the RCT failed, and my endo did the cold test on my teeth in the back... but nothing, even on the top when I went last week.

I'm miserable because I don't know if I have an abscess, or something else wrong and I don't even know what to do.
Hi,
The most important thing in dentistry/medicine/life is a good diagnosis. Evidently, the second root canal did not help with your complaint (maybe a root canal was indeed needed the second time, I don’t know).
what I can tell you with 99.9% certainty is that a tooth after a root canal treatment, even a bad one, cannot be sensitive to cold and warm. This sensitivity has to be caused by a different tooth. What dentists usually do is locate the problematic tooth by gently provoking the pain in a controlled way on specific teeth until they found the sensitive one.

Should I try to go back to my endodontist to see if it's other teeth in the front?

Either them or your general dentist would do.

My endodontist is out of town, so I see him on the 31st next week. Also, I have a white bump on my frenulum above the tongue, is that something to worry about? I assumed it was a skin tag but just making sure.

Hard to say for sure without seeing it, but it doesn't sound anything to worry over.

I hate bothering you all but is it possible I have an infection? I'm just worrying over it which I know isn't doing me any good. I don't see an abscess on my gum or near the tooth, but the sensitivity on the first root canaled tooth is intense for a few seconds, then goes away. It's been going on for 2 1/2 weeks. My biggest fear is having an infection and spreading.

Ames235,

Glad you are seeing him on the 31st to see what is going on. If it gets worse or terribly painful for longer or you just feel the need, maybe you could stop quick at an emergency dentist or another dentist near you to take a look? Hop it settles and sensitivity decreases

My biggest fear is having an infection and spreading.
There are so many horror stories about teeth infection that spreads and kill and so forth. These stories simply don’t represent the reality. I would concentrate on how to lessen your discomfort and pain from that tooth, nothing more. If you have fever, malaise of other extreme symptoms, then a spread-out tooth infection might be a relevant diagnose, but if the tooth is “just” painful, the infection story is not relevant.

Thank you, this makes me feel better. Really it's only when I eat something hot that it's intense for a few seconds but doesn't linger too long, I don't have any pain throughout the night or anything. Only thing I know is that you're not supposed to feel anything in a tooth that has had a root canal.

Update: I saw the endo, he fixed my bite and I can now eat on both sides! On the other hand, he said the hot is an unusual issue and said something that the inflammation sometimes lingers? I can't remember the full thing, but he gave me steroids to take, which I'm not keen on since I have an anxiety/panic disorder and I worry about taking them and I wish I had said something. Is it necessary to take them? I didn't have the hot sensitivy when I came home to eat but who knows later on.

Wait and see, if the hot sensitivity returns, then try taking the steroids?

Wait and see, if the hot sensitivity returns, then try taking the steroids?
I called back and he said I didn't have to take them since I have the mental health issues. Hopefully the hot sensitivity won't come back, he said if it did they'll take a 3D xray.