• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

getting 3 top teeth extracted monday nervous wreck!!

W

wifey1985

If your reading this...thank-you... Monday i have an appointment to get 3 top teeth on my right side extracted with just Novocaine ive been putting this off for years two teeth are broken (one is my wisdom which is broken to the gumline)also one is abscessed so its very much needed... its not that i've ever had a tooth pulled before i've actually had 3 extracted!Im not sure why i'm so nervous i'm not afraid of the needle i think i more concerned about pain and my teeth breaking off and it taking forever for them to dig them out.please help if you have any advice for me i would greatly appreciate it i cant even sleep or sit still...really cant wait for this to be over and i hope it all goes smooth.thanks & god bless...:(

Hello,
I've had a lot of teeth extracted(I didn't have money for root canals/crowns plus one needed to be extracted since it was cracked and infected)...None of the extractions hurt.I couldn't feel a thing..My dentist was very careful and just kinda moved it back and forth a little and took his time...I've heard too that it is easier to extract a tooth that is broken..Not sure why..Maybe a dentist will be along to add his comments and expertise..That is also my fear that my teeth will crumble and have to be picked out of my gum..But again my dentist said that isn't a big deal either..So either way you will be fine. It is scarier in our minds than in reality..And it doesn't take very long. And I've had 4 wisdom teeth taken out..But I had I.V sedation for 3 of them..One wisdom tooth was sectioned into 3 pieces and extracted with just novacaine. That dentist said it worked out better that way since it was quicker to come out..Good luck...:clover:

Hi,
I am sure that on the longer run you will be very happy on the extraction of the abcessed tooth.
The most important thing is that the dentist work without any time pressure. Some dentists think that it is better to xtract the teeth so quickly as possible and this way to end the anxiety for the patient but this preception is fundemently wrong. It is needed to invest a few minutes in:
1) slow administration of the anesthesia: fast and high pressuresed injection is painful.
2) waiting a bit for the anesthesia to work. It might take two minutes.
3) no need to apply much pressure during the extraction.

When you come to the appointment tell your dentist that you are afraid especially from having pain during the treatment, and ask fro him/her to work slowly and make sure it does not hurt.

all the best

Thank-you both for your responses!!! so glad to hear that someone has been threw this to and had a good experience it gives me much needed courage, i feel i have found a very caring dentist that will take things slow but hopefully not to slow i might jump out of the chair...Also im wondering if he will extract the abscessed tooth without being on an antibiotic before hand and just give them to me after if necessary...No matter how much i tell myself things are going to be fine and i wont feel the pain of them being extracted i still feel so nervous i try to just forget about it and think of how much better i will be and will hopefully soon get to have my smile back.I was going to take my headphones and listen to music have any of you done this? Do you think this is a good idea or does it make things worse having so much going on? thanks again both of you for your responses!!

Hello wifey1985,
I had a tooth extracted that was infected. The dentist told me I didn't need any antibiotics after the tooth removal because when the tooth was extracted the infection would clear up since the tooth was the source of the infection..I am fine..no trouble, and no infection.But if your tooth is abcessed then he may give you antibiotics before the extraction.I've taken myMP3 player to my dentist appointment and it was fine...I haven't taken it to my new dentist because I'm not terrified of him..He has a nice soothing voice and explain what he is doing as he goes along..Do whatever you need to help you feel more relaxed...Good luck, you will be fine..:clover:

Well tomorrow is my big day I'm so nervous I've had nightmares of things going wrong every night I just want to cry and throw up ..I have such anxiety...I know I won't sleep at all tonight so glad I made my appointment at early as possible 8am I can't wait for this to be over I don't know how I'm going to do it but I know I have to thanks for listening and I hope to have a good experience to share with others when all is over with..

Hi Wifey,

I had a tooth extracted for the very first time on Friday and I felt exactly like you. Xxxx I didn't sleep either and like you had a very early appointment. I was a complete mess when I went in and still don't know how I even got there, but I think sometimes our bodies just give us reserves we never even knew we had. I felt so sick the whole way through, but I managed to hold it together somehow.

Anyway, my point is, I did get through it and I have absolutely no doubt you will too. :XXLhug: I have suffered from severe anxiety, panic and agoraphobia for many years, so you can do this xxxx

It doesn't hurt at all and dentists are professionals who have done this many times before, so they will be out in no time. I think mine took about 10-20 mins in all, and it was a big tooth!

Just remember, it won't hurt, it just feels a bit weird. :XXLhug:

I'm thinking of you and sending you big hugs. Please let us know how you got on-this time tomorrow, it will all be over and think how good you'll feel that you did it! Xxxxx

Thank you so much carmelteach for your responses... I can't wait to get this over with its going to be such a long nite....I don't know how I'm going to do this I keep telling myself don't worry it won't hurt I'm sure I will read everyone's encouraging posts tonight over and over thank you all again for being so understanding...

Im in same boat but have some health issues right now. I will be thinking of you and can't wait to hear your success story....try and rest. I will be taking something the night before and day of. Are you? You can do this...

Thank you so much carmelteach for your responses... I can't wait to get this over with its going to be such a long nite....I don't know how I'm going to do this I keep telling myself don't worry it won't hurt I'm sure I will read everyone's encouraging posts tonight over and over thank you all again for being so understanding...

No matter how much i tell myself things are going to be fine and i wont feel the pain of them being extracted i still feel so nervous i try to just forget about it and think of how much better i will be and will hopefully soon get to have my smile back.I was going to take my headphones and listen to music have any of you done this? Do you think this is a good idea or does it make things worse having so much going on? thanks again both of you for your responses!!

Hi Wifey,
Remember that you should NOT have any pain whatsoever; you should only feel pressure during the procedure. If you are having pain please, please tell them. Do not endure the discomfort. You are in control and can stop the procedure at anytime whether you just need a break or need more anesthesia. I would make a point of establishing a stop signal with your dentist (i.e. a hand raise) first that you can use if needed so you have some sense of control going into it which may help you to feel more calm. I don't think it would hurt to bring the headphones if you would like some form of distraction, personally, I like my dentist to communicate with me throughout a procedure so it doesn't work for me because it becomes a barrier or obstacle that just gets in the way but other people like to sort of "disconnect" from what is going on around them and find a happy place and report that it really helps a lot to have some soothing music to focus on. Best of luck! Waiting is often the hardest part but it will be over soon! Oddly, I sometimes find a strange sense of calm overcome me before a big procedure...maybe all of the pre-appointment jitters just exhaust me beforehand !:rolleyes: We are all rooting for you! :grouphug:

Thank you Kitkat for your response I think the worst part is playing the waiting game and I think most of the anxiety comes from all the what ifs that we think about constantly it sometimes makes things a bigger deal than they really are, at least that's what I try to tell myself you all have gave me so much encouragement I'm so thankful for!! Ugh here's to a long nite ahead I can feel it:dunno:

Thank you so much I'm a wreck but keeping it together somehow I'm so tense and my heart is pounding ugh just waiting to leave don't want to get there early ...here goes nothin:shame:

Good luck xxxxxxx :XXLhug::clover::)

How did you do? Are you alright?:(

hey everyone sorry i haven't got back on here until today right after the dentist i had to get ready for a 19 hr drive going on no sleep from the night before my appt also i got no sleep the next night i had so much to pack for our drive then the 19hrs of driving with no sleep ugh...so i have been catching up on my rest:off-to-bed:...anyways my appointment didn't go as expected the dentist told me he could save 2 of my teeth i was shocked but they needed root canals & a crown and my wisdom and the tooth next to it need to be extracted which i though the one next to my wisdom tooth wasn't bad i told him i couldn't afford all that work not having insurance, so he printed me a breakdown of the cost which will be almost 4000$ :( and worked out a payment plan with me i was very surprised I called my husband and he told me if i can save my teeth from being pulled do it so the dentist decided to start with my broken tooth that needed a root canal i was so nervous my last root canal was very unpleasant i kept turning up my headphones trying to put myself in another world... i felt the first shot it stung a bit not to bad he went slow with the injections i got two then when i was numb he went to work i had no pain i could feel the things they use to clean out your roots it wasn't painful just kind of weird but then he had another patient so he gave me a little break then when he came back to finish one of the times while he was cleaning the roots out it hurt pretty bad nothing you couldn't handle but made me jump a bit so he gave me two more injections and all was better he made me a new looking tooth until i can get a crown which i was excited about because this tooth was in the front and you could see it when i smiled, finally 2 1/2 hrs later i was done it was finally over....it was sore for two days i just took ibuprofen it feels pretty good today.I cant believe i finally did it im just dreading that i have to go back even though it really wasn't bad at all im still nervous about the extractions even though they will probably be easier than sitting there for over 2 hours for a root canal..Thank you all for your support i don't think i would of gone if it wasn't for your encouragement. Please everyone out there you can do this and you will do fine its not half as bad as we think.;):love:

Sorry to hear you're not getting any rest after your dental work :yuck:
I just had 4 molars pulled today and you know, it's a really fast
and painless procedure, took about 30 minutes.

All I had was a local. No IV.

You're like me, getting root canals (I have 3) and extractions! Good luck, you'll do fine.:jump::jump:

yeah its been a ruff couple of days with no rest but all is well..good luck with your dental work and hope you have a fast healing from your extractions;D!!

Back