• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting cavities filled.. does it hurt!?

C

catify

Hi, I have many cavities and I'm going to the dentist tommorrow and I'm petrified. Im going to ask for numbing but I want to get all my fillings done in a day so only a couple of the cavities will be numbed. I have a cavity on the side crease of a molar, one on the middle crack area, and one on my molar wayy at the back where it's touching my overlapping gums. Will this hurt with no numbing at all? Im sooo scared my heart is racing so fast!

Hello and welcome! I guess I'm just not clear why you cannot be numb for all of them? Sometime, if the cavities are small enough, they can be done without being numb and with no pain. I just don't understand why you wouldn't be able to be numb for all of them.

I had two cavities on the side crease of molars but they were so small they didn't need numbing. One of them didn't hurt at all. The other was slightly bigger and was slightly uncomfortable when it was being drilled but not enough for me to feel like it would have been worth the injection and waiting for the numbing to take effect.
If some of your cavities are only small and on a different side of your mouth from the bigger ones then it's quite possible that they won't need numbing and you won't feel any pain.

Back