• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How to stop getting cavities?

S

scaredtodeath0

I brush my teeth twice a day for 2 minutes (I have a timer) and I floss once a day and even take vitamins specifically for my teeth but yet I nearly every tooth I have has a cavity on it. My friends take awful care of their teeth and they're in way better shape than mine, I take care of my teeth to avoid going to the dentist because I am terrified of them (no offence anyone). I have never had a good visit until recently.

For example, 3 months ago I got a small cavity (see previous post of you really need more info) fill on my gum line, when I went my x-ray dentist said all my teeth were great. The new filling was rough to the touch and caused discomfort, the dentist said it was normal. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago and I was flossing and the cavity popped out. Lucky I had forced myself to go to a dentist in town that specializes in people with phobia to get an exam because I had one tooth sensitive to chocolate, this x-ray shows I have cavities on nearly every one of my teeth in between them, on the top and on the sides. This dentist fixed my missing filling and filled the other cavities on that tooth while he was at it. No prob, good man actually listened to me, unlike my other dentists. He prescribed this super fluoride toothpaste that suppose to help prevent cavities, tastes awful and has made my teeth really sensitive.

Anyways I have seen 3 other dentists (all really bad visits, actually left on lady crying because she literally yelled at me that I was lying to her about flossing, even though she said I had excellent gums) and all 3 said that the only tooth that was hurting wasn't even my worse cavity. 2 dentists said not to worry about my wisdom-teeth, 1 said to remove them, and the lady who made me cry said they were all rotten and I should be ashamed at my age (26-year-old guy if it matters), and the price range to fix everything depending on the dentist was between 3-5k since my insurance apparently only covers 2 cavities a year.

They wanted to charge me a ridiculous amount for a copy of my x-ray so I took this with my phone, probably not the best but I can't afford 75-125 dollars for an x-ray with all my apparent issues
teeth.jpg

ADMIN NOTE: The most important factor in tooth decay is the frequency of sugar/carbohydrate intake:

Some people have demineralization, weakened enamel or health issues that just make them more prone to cavities. the prescription fluoride toothpaste should help, and since fluoride is a natural desensitizer it should make your teeth less sensitive not more sensitive. do you eat a lot of acidic foods and do you brush right after you eat them? that in itself will weaken your enamel as it needs time to remineralize from your saliva before you brush. brushing too soon after eating acidic foods just does more harm than good. you may also want to increase from brushing twice a day to brushing 3 times a day since you are cavity prone.
It was wrong and unprofessional of the dentist to try to shame you or insult you or say that you should be ashamed of yourself. that is just wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a lot of food allergies I developed over the past few years... Acidic food no... But soda and tea yes. But I make sure not to brush 30 minutes before or after my last drink and I use a straw often to make sure i minimize contact with my teeth...

the soda is probably the main reason. not just the sugar in it but the soda itself. the tea as well if you take it with sugar.
if you have a lot of food allergies you may be lacking in proper nutrition which in turn may cause your saliva to lack the minerals that your teeth need to remineralize after eating.

Back