• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting my wisdom teeth out soon and I'm freaking out!!!

S

SuperGirl97

I'm 19 years old and I'm getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed in the beginning of December, I'm not 100% sure what anesthesia I'm being put under because they told my mom that it all depends on the anesthesiologist that they have that day but I do know they are put in my hand which is freaking out a little. I was put under general anesthesia I think when I was five because I need to get a crown and gets 16 fillings. I got it done the hospital all I can remember is walking through the doors, lying down and counting then waking up, I can't remember how I felt when I woke up. I got two baby teeth pulled out 7 years ago but I wasn't under anything, I just got freezing and it wasn't that bad them pulled out. The thing I'm most worried about is anxiety before being put under because I have been diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorder, I have panic attacks for just getting my teeth cleaned. I have a phobia of throwing up so I'm scared after I wake up I might get sick and I just want to know if alot of people get sick afterwards and how do I prevent it. And do I need to take any pills before or after because I can't swallow pills. What are the common side effects after surgery?

Hi there!

I got all four of my wisdom teeth removed about two months ago, and I can assure you that I had some of the same worries as you - especially about getting sick!

I don't have any experience with panic attacks/anxiety disorder, but I can address your fears of throwing up. That - for whatever reason - was one of the things I was most worried about! :hmm::dunno:

I have read (but don't have any formal research to back me up on this) that it's typically the nitrous oxide/laughing gas that might make people feel nauseous as opposed to the IV sedation. I was only put under IV sedation for my procedure, but I was still worried about feeling sick. I called the oral surgeon's office ahead of time to tell them about my worries, and they told me that they would put an anti-nausea medicine into the IV for me as well, which was very reassuring. You or your mom can try calling the office to see if that is something they can do for you.

Of course, annoyingly, on the day of my procedure, when I asked the nurse about the anti-nausea meds they had promised they would add for me, her response was, "Oh, do you really think you'll need that? We can add it, I guess", which means that they had completely forgotten about it! I told her that I absolutely wanted it, but honestly? I can't be sure that they even included it in my IV in the end...

Point is, I woke up from my procedure feeling absolutely fine. No nausea at all! So don't worry yourself too much about it. I was terrified of the idea of throwing up but didn't have any issues at all!

One other thing to note if you are worried about getting sick is to make sure you have something in your stomach before taking your prescription strength pain meds. Of the many people I talked to/read about online, the most common thing I heard was that it's the pain meds that make people the most sick. Honestly, I was so scared about it that I didn't take a single prescription pain pill. I only took Advil and was just fine. So again, one more thing you can consider!

Sorry to write you a novel, but I hope that helps to assuage some of your fears! I'll try and write up a full recap of my experience and post it here at some point, too!

Don't worry yourself too much! I know it can be very scary to think about, but I think you'll do great! I was terrified and came through the whole thing just fine. Today, less than two months after my procedure, I feel 100% normal!

Good luck! You can do it!:grin:

I was super scared and just had mine pulled last week!! I'm 19 to. I was shaking and kida in this "i cant believe this happening mode". Trust me its really not what your thinking. I was more scared of going to sleep than the actual thing. The iv thing didn't even hurt i even said "was that it" and the doc siad " yea thats it" didn't hurt one bit. But i didn't remember going to sleep. It hits you and you don't have any concept of time at first. Your like really relaxed and don't wanna move. things got kida blury, then you wake up and its over. No pain or really no nothing. After you don't feel anything, till the novacane wears off. I had mine in the morning and my bottom limps and chin were still numb when i went to bed. But my teeth felt like rocks kida weird but no pain. IF you dont drink or eat 8 hrs before you won't throw up. You have to have something in your stomach for that happen at the time. Like its one or the other. For me i have no pain from the removal areas, i got lucky and just didn't have any pain from. I ate a burrito and goldfish the day after. As of now theirs some soreness and bruising but i cant really feel any pain. I feel really silly now for stressing like i did, but its normal. The doctor told me he would've been worried if i wasn't nervous at all. They got your back, they will take of you. I know your scared and worried and its hard to process it all but theirs really nothing to it.

Back