• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting my wisdom teeth removed on July 23rd. I'm super nervous

S

Scary

Everyone I have talked to say its the worst pain ever. I have two impacted wisdom teeth at the bottom and the tops wisdom teeth are fully erupted. I will also be going under general anesthesia too. I'm not going to lie I'm super scared about the pain afterwards. Everyone tells me its unbearable and as of result I'm freaking out to the point I broke down crying today. I need to stop watching vlogs of people experiences and afterwards because honestly its not making me feel better. I cant handle pain at all. :cry:

I am having my top left wisdom tooth removed on Thursday and am feeling very nervous. I chickened out of having it removed a couple of months ago but am now at the point that it has to be removed!
It is pushing on my other teeth and causing discomfort.

I went on the Internet and of course read all of the horror stories which completely freaked me out. When I went back to the hospital I saw a really nice oral surgeon who explained everything that would happen, including the fact that I would have some pain for about a week. I came away feeling a bit better about it, but as the day draws near I am getting stressed.

I have decided to get proactive. I know I will get some pain so went to speak to my pharmacy about the best drug regime. I will take a painkiller after the surgery and not wait for the pain to kick in, plus I will take ice packs with me and apply them the moment I come out.

My dentist has also been brilliant in the fact that he said I can call him any time and he will see me, and he gave me some Arnica pills to take in the run up to surgery.

I know that it all seems a bit extreme, but it is helping me to cope.

Just thought I'd chime in!

I am having my upper wisdom teeth removed Friday morning with just local anesthetic. Both are fully erupted and my dentist assured me they'll be easy extractions however naturally, I'm still extremely nervous and have read the horror stories online. My boyfriend keeps reminding me that "for every one horror story there's hundreds of smooth easy extractions but no one bothers writing about those" and I know it's true but I'm still scared. I do trust my dentist though; in the last year I've seen her for two cleanings and ten fillings (I hadn't been to the dentist in a very long time out of fear) and they were all rather painless so I'm hoping this goes smoothly as well.

Hi all

Im new here and thought i could maybe help ease your nerves a little. I have had 2 wisdom teeth extracted recently one at the end of may and another one last thursday. I hadnt been to the dentist in nearly 17 years because of my fear/phobia but after endless pain i was marched to the dentist by my partner.

In total i have had 4 teeth removed 7 fillings and rct with a crown. The first wisdom tooth i had pulled was with iv sedation and it was a breeze. I had slight pain for 2/3 days afterwards but nothing over the counter pain killers coudnt handle. The second one was done last thursday with went just as well and am now well on the way to recovery.

I had also scrolled the the internet and could only find bad write ups which obviously didnt help but i am so glad my partner kind of forced me to go i feel like a different person and for the first time in nearly 5 years have no pain from my teeth.

Sorry for rambling on but i can honestly say having my wisdom teeth out was one of the best decisions i have ever made.

Hope this helps:):)

Thank you.

I think we are are our own worst enemies, trawling the Internet and worrying ourselves silly.

I am in my 50's and of course read how terrible it was to get them removed when you are older. I have been trying to tell myself not to be so silly when people are going through far more terrible things and pain.

oh well,this time tomorrow it will be gone and I can get on with healing.

I had my wisdom teeth out this past October. The tops were fully erupted, and the bottoms were partially impacted, with one being bony. I was given general, and they also gave me nitrous to calm me as the IV kicked in.

It wasn't as painful as I was expecting. It hurt, I won't lie, but the meds definitely made it more than bearable. Even over the counter Ibuprofen was strong enough to help after day 2. I had mine out on a Wednesday and that weekend I was out and about.

Back