• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting really emotional about my first tooth extraction.

M

Mt1797

Junior member
Joined
Aug 25, 2025
Messages
1
Location
Texas
I had my first tooth extraction done this morning. I’m 29. I’ve had filling and even a root canal before. But this is the first extraction. The big molar in the very back right, next to my wisdom teeth.
I had an appointment a week ago, and I was under the impression that today was going to be a root canal. I didn’t know they were doing an extraction until after they had numbed me and gassed me and started pulling at it.
I have a severe fear of dental work. So of course the pain has me crying and trying really hard not to hyperventilate. The dentist gets impatient with me and tells me I should be more grateful that the tooth won’t be causing me pain anymore. That makes me cry more. I kept the tooth. It looks fine. There’s some slight decay on the side, going towards the middle of the tooth, but… otherwise it looks like a root canal should have worked….
Now I’m home. It’s about seven hours later now. The numbness gone. And I can feel the huge gaping hole where my tooth was….
I’m trying so hard to stop crying. My top molars are broken and in bad condition. My bottom molars were my good ones. It’s what I depended on to chew. And now I’m missing one…. I wish I wouldn’t have gone in. I wish I would’ve lived with the pain. I feel this gaping hole and I’m sobbing because I’m afraid I’ll never be able to chew right again… a piece of me was ripped out and I’m just not coping very well… sorry if this is weird. Thanks for the space to vent.
 
I am so so sorry this happened to you. The dentist should have absolutely informed you beforehand that you were undergoing an extraction and not a root canal. Is there any way in the future you can perhaps seek out a different dentist? One who is more understanding and certainly tells you what they're planning to do before they do it? :grouphug:

I've had four tooth extractions, all done in 2022 and I can safely say: you definitely need time to grieve and that's not weird at all. Losing a tooth can be a very traumatic experience (especially with no time to prepare) and you need to be very kind to yourself. It's going to be a massive adjustment and it's going to take time for you to get used to it. Do take your time with it. Let yourself mourn. It's okay to cry and far better too than bottle it up. I was in a very dark place when I found out I needed extractions but you can come out the other side of this, I promise.

I will tell you now that it will be okay. You will be able to chew again. It may take time, and you may have to find a lot of patience and strength but that's what we're here for. To help hold you up when you need it. Again, a lot of hugs to you, and the fact you came here to seek support and vent, you should be really proud of yourself for that :XXLhug:
 
Back
Top