• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth really aching days after getting a crown

S

swift123

Hi All,

I am hoping a dentist can advise me on this. My dentist told me that I needed a crown (but not a root canal) on number 18. I had that placed on Monday and ever since it has been increasingly aching and is sensitive to cold whenever I drink. This doesn't seem normal. Did my dentist do something wrong to damage the tooth? I have a sinking suspicion he is going to tell me it needs a root canal now. It never bothered me before.

Also, if he does do a root canal, will that make it more likely that my crown will fail (since it was molded for this tooth and the shape would change slightly if he had to drill into it for the root canal and then refill it)? I've asked in the past and was told that the same crown would be used in a case like this, as opposed to having a new crown molded. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Hi All,

I am hoping a dentist can advise me on this. My dentist told me that I needed a crown (but not a root canal) on number 18. I had that placed on Monday and ever since it has been increasingly aching and is sensitive to cold whenever I drink. This doesn't seem normal. Did my dentist do something wrong to damage the tooth? I have a sinking suspicion he is going to tell me it needs a root canal now. It never bothered me before.

Also, if he does do a root canal, will that make it more likely that my crown will fail (since it was molded for this tooth and the shape would change slightly if he had to drill into it for the root canal and then refill it)? I've asked in the past and was told that the same crown would be used in a case like this, as opposed to having a new crown molded. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I am not a dentist, but I had a similar situation, although I already had a crown, just needed to be redone. I did end up needing a root canal while I had the temp crown on.

The dentist had wanted to wait to put on the permanent crown for that very reason, so I had the temp crown on for two months.

She explained to me that they can go through the crown for a root canal. It doesn't mean the crown will have to be redone...they can do the filling, then put a filling similar to the crown in the hole in the crown. It will be just as hard as the original.

In my case, if this tooth ends up settling, I will have to get a new crown anyway, as the one they made pre-root canal won't fit with my bite anymore.

I just had a re root canal done through a crown! They just drill straight through it and fill it with a composite filling!

Is there a dentist out there who can comment on if there is something my dentist may have done wrong to cause this? Or it is completely luck of the draw?

I’m not a dentist but I think every time a tooth is worked on it is at risk of damaging the nerve inside! My husband just had a crown on a non root canal tooth and it did take 6-8 weeks to feel totally normal in his mouth x

Back