• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gingivitis or periodontitis- how to tell the difference?

C

Christine826

I can’t tell you how glad I am to have found this forum. Everyone seems so supportive here! I want to start by saying that I definitely have gum disease to some extent- which is why my dentist did a deep cleaning back in April. I go back to the dentist in November and will probably have it done again instead of a regular cleaning. A couple of my bottom teeth do feel a little wobbly though I have heard that can be normal. I believe I also have a slight case of receding gums as well. I am curious as to what the difference is between gingivitis and periodontitis because I’m almost certain I have one- just not sure how to distinguish between the two. The picture may help but not sure if it’s possible to really tell from just a picture. Was also wondering if anyone has experience with either of these conditions and what they did to rectify the situation? I’m trying to get a jump start on getting healthy teeth and gums again before seeing the dentist in November. Thanks in advance everyone ?

Attachments

• 95E8C634-C2A0-4275-995F-265F5943C480.jpeg
    95E8C634-C2A0-4275-995F-265F5943C480.jpeg
    562 KB · Views: 64
You can't tell from a photo. The difference is that with periodontitis, there is loss of the supporting structure. The only way to tell is by use of a periodontal probe and x-rays.
You look pretty young in the photo though so it's likely that even if you have got periodontal disease, it's been caught nice and early.

You can't tell from a photo. The difference is that with periodontitis, there is loss of the supporting structure. The only way to tell is by use of a periodontal probe and x-rays.
You look pretty young in the photo though so it's likely that even if you have got periodontal disease, it's been caught nice and early.
When I went to the dentist in April they didn’t mention any problems with the xrays so I’m guessing they were ok. I’m 26, so yes definitely on the younger side. I suppose when I go back in November I will find out if there’s been any changes ? Thanks for your response!

Back