• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Girlfriend in pain on day 3 after tooth extraction. Very bad breath. Any advice?

T

TheGeek

Girlfriend in pain on day 3 after tooth extraction. Very bad breath. Any advice?

My girlfriend had 4 teeth extracted (difficult extractions), and a root canal. It took 4 hours. She had this done Wednesday (it's now Friday). She's had pain since the extraction, and has been to a doctor to get pain medications.

My one concern is her breath is very bad. It smells awful.

Her temperature is fine and I can't see any additional swelling. She says it looks like there's puss near the extraction site on one of the teeth. She did have an infection and was on 3 different antibiotics over the last 2 weeks.

Is this normal? She's called the dentist but they can't see her until Monday as they're now closed and had no appointments. She's doing salt water rinses regular.

Thanks for any advice

Re: Girlfriend in pain on day 3 after tooth extraction. Very bad breath. Any advice?

She could have a dry socket. When I had my last one out it did hurt for awhile. I think they say pain is worse on day 3&4. I am not a dentist but perhaps that helps. Good luck. You could go to an ER and see if they can help but typically they don't do a lot.

Re: Girlfriend in pain on day 3 after tooth extraction. Very bad breath. Any advice?

She could have a dry socket. When I had my last one out it did hurt for awhile. I think they say pain is worse on day 3&4. I am not a dentist but perhaps that helps. Good luck. You could go to an ER and see if they can help but typically they don't do a lot.

Thanks for the response. We went to ER Sunday because she was in very bad pain. We waited 6 hours and they said they couldn't do anything :( I'm keeping an eye on her though, if she starts to feel unwell I will go straight to ER.

This is bad though, because I have my extractions next week! Makes me fear so much worse because I have to have almost the same treatment (except the root canal).

Same thing happening to me! I googled and asked around and the conclusion I came up with issssss... it's the antibiotic's fault! My breath is horrible and no brushing or mouth rinse is helping me, AND there is a thick white coat on my tongue that I keep trying to brush off.

After the extractions are mouths are super dehydrated and there is bacteria floating around (since we're not using our mouths and tongues like normal), plus antibiotics love to hate us so a combination of everything gives us a mouth that smells like a trash compactor for a while so I wouldn't worry about the breath

the pain though, it could be dry socket. I'm on day 4 now and I'm SUPER uncomfortable and the healing sucks but I haven't taken a prescribed pain killer yet so it's manageable. I hear day 4 and 5 are the worst though so I'm typing this silently praying lmao

Same thing happening to me! I googled and asked around and the conclusion I came up with issssss... it's the antibiotic's fault! My breath is horrible and no brushing or mouth rinse is helping me, AND there is a thick white coat on my tongue that I keep trying to brush off.

After the extractions are mouths are super dehydrated and there is bacteria floating around (since we're not using our mouths and tongues like normal), plus antibiotics love to hate us so a combination of everything gives us a mouth that smells like a trash compactor for a while so I wouldn't worry about the breath

the pain though, it could be dry socket. I'm on day 4 now and I'm SUPER uncomfortable and the healing sucks but I haven't taken a prescribed pain killer yet so it's manageable. I hear day 4 and 5 are the worst though so I'm typing this silently praying lmao

Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing :( I am now dreading my treatment in 3 days. Are you able to eat at the moment? She has lost so much weight because she hasn't been able to eat properly since her original pain started.

Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing :( I am now dreading my treatment in 3 days. Are you able to eat at the moment? She has lost so much weight because she hasn't been able to eat properly since her original pain started.

I haven't eaten food for five days. I bought myself "Boost" and have been living on three of those a day :( I've had soup about twice since Monday and mashed potatoes once too. That's it. Since I've been in pain and freaking out a lot (my anxiety is always at 100) I don't want to risk making anything worse so it's why I haven't eaten but I don't recommend. Yesterday was the first day I really felt the whole not eating thing and I could barely hold up a glass without my hands shaking like a washing machine. Try to feed her as many things as she can keep down so she won't end up feeling sick like I did :cry:

Your procedure will be fine though! The most important thing is to follow the dentist's directions and not overthink everything (like i do lmao) because then you'll get stuck in not-eating-mode even when you can.

Back