• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter wozzle
  • Start date Start date
W

wozzle

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
110
great!! now i have a dry socket!!!

Gods sake on top of my year of dental hell, 4 extractions, 4 root canals, several fillings now this!!!

Its been packed with yucky brown stuff and now god knows when it will heal, any ideas anone pls???

Sarah
>:(
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

Hi,
sorry to hear about your problems. I've just had a dry socket and it took about two weeks from the extraction to get to the normal healing stage and it's still healing now (well its obv not a dry socket now but I mean the gum is still healing!) and its been a month since the extraction. I know what you mean that brown stuff is yucky, I had to have it packed twice the first lot came out, the taste is awful!
Just keep on top of your pain killers and very gentle rinsing and you'll get there! I've only got a small hole there now.
Hope you're better soon.
Ice-princess :-)
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

Thank you for your reply, good to know yours healed fairly quickly, hope im as lucky. just want to be pain free by xmas.

xxxx
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

It will definitely be pain free by Christmas, I know the pain is awful and there's not much you can do but wait it out, but I think you will be able to enjoy your turkey just fine! :-)
Take care.
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

Hi,
Your'e not very lucky are you!!!
Ice-princess is right - the majority are healing well by about the two week mark. The brown foul tasting stuff is call Alvogyl. I believe it is vegetable fibres impregnated with substances to kill the pain and fight any infection. It is normally a good idea to have it changed every couple of days or so until the pain has reduced to the level where you do not feel the need to take painkillers.

I am sure you will be fine for Christmas.

Lincoln
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

Thank you i do hope so!

So down today as it was feeling ok yesturday but low and behold the pain is back! its more like intense soreness around the gum, the packing is still in place but my dentist is away on a jolly today so cannot ask him for advice :(

Sarah
x
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

Oh no, I really do sympathise because I know exactly what that horrible pain is like.
It might need re-packing still, when I had to have mine packed again the first lot hadn't all come out, there was still a little bit in there and I had pain.
I have read that it usually does need doing a couple of times before it starts healing on its own. Not sure, maybe the medication that's in it wears off?
Also I was told holding something frozen on the out side of the face could help with the pain, although I did not try this so can't comment sorry.
I've just read this too; 'As saliva and air can intensify the pain, avoid these two with the help of gauze. All you need to bite a piece of gauze and change this when required. This will avoid the saliva and air to reach the dry socket area' Maybe just til you can get to your dentist?
Hope you're better soon :-(
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

thank you for your help xx

ive left msg for doc to ring me, see if he may give me some strong antibiotics? maybe they will help maybe not??

i wouldnt say the pain was like childbirth or anything, just like ear ache and jaw ache and soreness, maybe its just healing???

just want t o run awa from my own head!!

xx
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

hmm maybe, that's what my pain was like, a constant earache. Well I was given antibiotics so maybe that has something to do with the healing time.
Anyway hope he can see you soon! :-)
 
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

thank you for your support x

doc wont give me anyting so gona ave to wait and see dentist tomoz.

maybe it may feel a bit better tomoz....i hope so ive got my sons xmas show tomoz :( xx

i smoked after last 3 extractions and tey healed fine, this one i waited 24hrs and now this!! dont understand x
 
Last edited:
Re: going through the alphabet of dental problems, Now on D for dry socket!!!!

I know, I've had and extraction before that healed just fine, but the last one I had was a bit of a difficult one so I think that is why I got mine.
Ahh I hope you get too see the show it would be a shame to miss it! :-(
 
Back
Top