• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going to the dentist on Monday after 9 year absence - fear of diagnosis/anxiety

  • Thread starter Thread starter tinytooth
  • Start date Start date
T

tinytooth

Junior member
Joined
Mar 29, 2015
Messages
3
Location
Canada
Going to the dentist on Monday after 9 year absence - fear of diagnosis/anxiety

Hi all,

I hesitated to sign up for the forum, that’s how deep my anxiety is (!) – I’ve booked a 30 minute consultation for Monday with a new dentist, after almost 9 years away from dental care. I had a cleaning in 2012, but didn’t see a dentist at that time.

My anxiety definitely falls into the ‘fear of diagnosis’ category. I have a little jaw, and saw multiple specialists when I was a teenager. Terrible, terrible memories of this process and I eventually elected not to undergo orthodontic treatment/jaw surgery. Now I’m almost 28, and I still have my wisdom teeth which are causing irritation throughout my gums (or at least, I hope that’s all it is).

Thinking about all the work I’m likely to have ahead of me is so overwhelming. I’m hoping the dentist is supportive of my choice not to undergo jaw surgery, but I also feel shameful that I’ve let my teeth fall so by the wayside.

TLDR– I am terrified of finding out the state of my mouth, and equally terrified I will have a dentist who makes me feel awful about my choices. Causing anxiety to go through the roof. Any tips for fear of diagnosis/anxiety?
 
Re: Going to the dentist on Monday after 9 year absence - fear of diagnosis/anxiety

When I went after a 20 year absence, I already knew the cause off my pain - my wisdom teeth. I sat there with tears rolling down while the dentist tried to make jokes to get me to smile. He told my husband to get my wisdom teeth taken care off and to bring me back once my mouth was healed up from that. He didn't say what work needs to be done. I kind of like that because it doesn't give me anything to obsess over! I haven't made my next appointment yet, it's been 5 weeks since the surgery but I still have 2 open holes. I hope there's not too much wrong because the wisdom teeth ate up all my insurance for the year!
Anyway, maybe you can just tell him you only want to know what needs to be done first and take it one step at a time.
 
Last edited:
Re: Going to the dentist on Monday after 9 year absence - fear of diagnosis/anxiety

Hi there:) I recently had an appointment after 20 years of avoiding the dentist. I had self diagnosed myself with every possible thing that could go wrong with teeth. While I do have to have some work done it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. The dentist and me decided to take it one step at a time so I don't feel overwhelmed and scared. All I know now is I need a scaling, a crown and an onlay. When that is complete we will discuss the next step.

Just be upfront about your fears and what you want and don't want. Try not to feel ashamed. I was mortified about the state of my teeth but the dentist and hygienist didn't make me feel bad at all. They were truly happy to help me get my oral health back and make me feel comfortable.

I'll also bet that things aren't as bad as you are imagining them to be:)
 
Back
Top